Women in distress - power window and door lock problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Women in distress - power window and door lock problem

vward9

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford Explorer Limited
I have been having problems with my 1996 Ford Explorer limited Edition's window's and door lock's. I have been told that the Master control panel switch need's to be replaced. I don't think that is the case because I can hear the motor and switch click whenever I hit the lock/unlock switch on the master control panel. Also all windows being controlled from all the other door panels will only work from the master panel. The left side lock/unlock door on the master panel only works for the passengers rear left side door, the right side doors will not lock/unlock at all. May I add when I am using my remote the same applies to all the door's except the trunk and rear left passenger door. What is going on here, someone please help. Tired of using a key entry.

I'm not sure but I believe I would check for broken wires in the door jamb conduit. On mine I just had to clean the plug and put some dielectric on it.

broke wires in the driver's side door jam are very common to window and lock problems on these vehicles. there's also a wire corrosion problem on a splice in the wire bundle under the rear carpet that causes locking problems. lastly, there is a module (GEM = general electrical module) that controls things like windows and locks, which can go bad. unfortunately, the only way to find the source of the problem involves a lot of expensive diagnostic time unless you're doing it yourself.

Back