Won’t Start, Smoke by starter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Won’t Start, Smoke by starter

djriebesell

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer XLT
I have been trying to troubleshoot why my 2012 Ford Explorer won’t start. Symptoms are that it cranks over hard without starting and after attempting a few times I get smoke coming off the starter.

What I’ve replaced: Battery, Starter (which has the relay/solenoid attached), and Starter Cable (the long wiring harnesses that goes from the battery to the starter to the alternator, and to all sorts of other places.

I presumed I had a short and most likely in that wiring harnesses but after I replaced that I was naturally frustrated that my girl still doesn’t come to life.

Since it won’t start I’d have to have it towed for repairs. Really would like to solve this. Just can’t think of what else I can try.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been trying to troubleshoot why my 2012 Ford Explorer won’t start. Symptoms are that it cranks over hard without starting and after attempting a few times I get smoke coming off the starter.

What I’ve replaced: Battery, Starter (which has the relay/solenoid attached), and Starter Cable (the long wiring harnesses that goes from the battery to the starter to the alternator, and to all sorts of other places.

I presumed I had a short and most likely in that wiring harnesses but after I replaced that I was naturally frustrated that my girl still doesn’t come to life.

Since it won’t start I’d have to have it towed for repairs. Really would like to solve this. Just can’t think of what else I can try.

Any ideas?
What do you mean that it “cranks over hard”?

Have you verified spark and fuel?

It turns over a few times but stops. Similar to a low battery crank or dead of winter crank. It isn’t turning over as normal. After attempting to crank it a couple times smoke starts to come up off the starter itself.

It turns over a few times but stops. Similar to a low battery crank or dead of winter crank. It isn’t turning over as normal. After attempting to crank it a couple times smoke starts to come up off the starter itself.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
It sounds like it still could be an issue with the starter, even though you replaced it. Have you tried starting it with a boost just to see if it goes?

Peter

No go with a boost either. Does it seem probable that I’d have the same issue with two different starters?

No go with a boost either. Does it seem probable that I’d have the same issue with two different starters?
Difficult to say. Was it a direct OEM replacement part?

Peter

Hopefully another member may have some ideas.

Have you cleaned the grounds and checked the ground battery cable?

Well, it is a brand new battery and a brand new wiring harness from the battery to everywhere so there is nothing needing cleaning.

Did you replace the ground cable? You said that you replace the one from the battery to the starter but the isn't the ground cable.

Your "smoke by starter" comment leads me to believe the starter motor is being overloaded and is overheating when it stalls. You need to determine how many amps it's pulling from the battery and see if it's in spec.

Is it possible your Explorer's engine is nearly seized or hydro-locked? This would explain the symptoms you're experiencing. Another (unlikely) theory is that your starter motor's pinion gear is meshed too highly with the engine's flywheel's ring gear.

Did you replace the ground cable? You said that you replace the one from the battery to the starter but the isn't the ground cable.
The wiring harness had both the positive and negative sides all in one.

Your "smoke by starter" comment leads me to believe the starter motor is being overloaded and is overheating when it stalls. You need to determine how many amps it's pulling from the battery and see if it's in spec.

Is it possible your Explorer's engine is nearly seized or hydro-locked? This would explain the symptoms you're experiencing. Another (unlikely) theory is that your starter motor's pinion gear is meshed too highly with the engine's flywheel's ring gear.

The last time I drove this it was all working fine. I park it on a concrete slab in the back yard. Just wouldn’t start the next time I went to use it. Oil level was fine and no exposure to anything I would expect would cause any hydro-locking.

How many miles are on your Explorer?

I am also thinking something is pulling the motor down and over working the starter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's what I'm thinking also. Something is physically preventing the engine from spinning.

Back