Wonder how hard it would be to do THIS for Explorers? RIZE 8" lift for Expedition | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wonder how hard it would be to do THIS for Explorers? RIZE 8" lift for Expedition

JoeCool6972

Reaction score
City, State
where ever I may roam...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac XLT
I just recently found out RIZE industries makes an 8" suspension lift for 03-up Expedition (fits up to 37" tires) which also is four wheel independant suspension with the rear axle running through the frame rails. It relocates the axles underneath.

But I guess the supply and demand theory applies, no one thinks there is a market for Explorers to be lifted, so we get little aftermarket support. but obviously there is, I wonder how many lift kits TRUXX and RoadBully offroad have sold? Then there is those who have done custom springs. Then again, I have NEVER seen a lifted Expedition in person either, only in magazines.

RZ_Rr8_Expedition.jpg

RZ_Fr8_Expedition.jpg

expo_main.jpg

http://www.rizeind.com/03products/02suspension/suspen_ford01.html#

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just recently found out RIZE industries makes an 8" suspension lift for 03-up Expedition (fits up to 37" tires) which also is four wheel independant suspension with the rear axle running through the frame rails. It relocates the axles underneath.

But I guess the supply and demand theory applies, no one thinks there is a market for Explorers to be lifted, so we get little aftermarket support. but obviously there is, I wonder how many lift kits TRUXX and RoadBully offroad have sold? Then there is those who have done custom springs. Then again, I have NEVER seen a lifted Expedition in person either, only in magazines.

http://www.rizeind.com/03products/02suspension/suspen_ford01.html#

I've sold about 50 kits in the past what... 6-8 months sence I started making these.
I'm actually trying to get a lift done like the RIZE kit for my explorer, unfortunately I just don't have much time to work on my own truck lately.

It shouldn't be too difficult. Most lift kits these days just relocate everything lower than the frame. I would think one for the Explorer would be pretty easy as well, just make brackets for everything to drop and figure out wheel alignment issues.

Did you take notice to see how much the RIZE kit costs?

Yeah, that's why my expy is lifted 2.5" instead of 8", ridiculous $$$.

The cost of the Rize Expedition lift is around $4000 which is rediculous... but has NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT I AM ASKING as this topic is not really about Expeditions :rolleyes:

A solid axle suspension is also COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT TO WHAT I AM ASKING. :thumbdwn:

Try to stay on topic please...

My point is I hate the fact that all I can lift mine is 3" or less. I am going with that as it is the ONLY OPTION.I do not want to do a body lift, as I hate those. Even that is not made for Explorer, you have to rig up a Ranger kit. But I would really like to lift it 6" or more to fit at least 35's. I want a huge show truck, but NO! All I can do is squeeze skinny33's with strut spacers or custom made, overpriced 2" lift springs. I can't believe with the millions of 2002-up Ford Explorers on the road, there is very little aftermarket support. It is the best selling SUV, period. But you can get all kinds of crap for extremely low sellers, like the Nissan Xterra or Frontier.

"Wonder how hard it would be to do THIS for Explorers? RIZE 8" lift for Expedition".

Its actually pretty easy, you just need a CNC cutter such as plasma, water jet, laser and so on for the plate stuff. Then you need a good 220v welder. After that, set up a jig because that much welding to that much plate is going to lead to a lot of movement due to the heat input. This'll get you all the bracketry and whatever, but not the knuckle. As for the knuckle, first you need a mold and there are various ways - lost wax, lost foam, etc.. around a sand cast or whatever. After you get the mold down, then you'll need to melt your material with something like an electric arc furnace and just pour that baby on once its at the desired temperature. After the knuckle is done, you'll need to machine it -- like the bolt holes, ball joint holes and so on. After that, then its all bolt on.

Does that answer your question?

EDIT -- oh and you'll need someone to make that bad ass RIZE decal for you, BLEE1099 is more than capable.. ! :)

Ok since everyone wants to be a smartass.. forget it! I'll never ask a serious question here ever again. :thumbdwn:

its possible but the R&D for it would be high plus there has to be a substantial market for it.

Ok since everyone wants to be a smartass.. forget it! I'll never ask a serious question here ever again. :thumbdwn:
That wasnt a smartass response, its the truth :). CNC cut, jig, bend, weld = brackets. Mold, molten material, milling = knuckles.

it is very likely that kit is using the front kit for an F150 which does have a high demand.

Just like 1st and 2nd generation guys on here use the ranger based lift kits for the front and do our own thing in the rear, I'm sure Rize uses the same theory.

If you want BIG SHOW TRUCK then it either takes
1) Big bucks to build a custom setup (like IZ describes)
2) own a truck that IS heavily modified in the aftermarket area like jeeps and 1/2 tons.

Nissan built the Xterra to be an offroad ready platform therefore it is in fact easier to make it ready to go offroad. I've seen plenty of show trucks swap axles to get the effect while others stay on stock running gear.

I've seen my fair share of "show trucks" and I like your concept of using an explorer to be unique, but axle swaps are not all that bad of an idea. This pickup with the kelderman kit looks sweet and will handle those 38s well on the Dana 60 where the Avalanche with stock axles and a big drop bracket suspension won't probably fair too well with these 49s.

Attachments

• SEMA 098med.jpg
    SEMA 098med.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,221
  • SEMA 006med.jpg
    SEMA 006med.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,930

But you can get all kinds of crap for extremely low sellers, like the Nissan Xterra or Frontier.

Because they still have solid rear axles and are a lot easier and cheaper to lift and are more or less made for it compared to glorified mini-vans with IRS.

okay , just a thought,, you knind of hinted to wanting 35's, , hmmm alot of guys run 33's, on these 3rd gens,
aren't they(the 35's) actually only one inch taller from rim center to edge ??

so ,, if he was to do the 3 inch RB lift , and the coil springs, and a body lift, i guess that means that the 35's would fit, seeing as the 33's do,
i mean i just did the math,, it seems, the road bully lift +coil springs+body lift=about 7 inches,, and tires are stock 30 inches,+5=35 inch tire,,

there is more lift than new tire,, hmmmmm, just a thought,,,,

You seem to have the smartass attitude around here... My post was relevant in the fact that the RIZE kit is an expensive one and is rarely seen, one for the explorer would probably be comparably priced.

Chill out.

i also thought about this a bit after i posted, and had my breakfast , ,

one reason you can only squeeze them skinny 33's under the 3rd gen is that so far , nobody i can recall has taken a sawzall or any other cutter to the newer body style to make room for the wider tires to fit without rubbing issues,, it would just seem wrong to cut up a newer one to get tire clearnce,, most guys are still worried about warranty .
which i guess would be gone if you sawzalled a big chunk out of the floor in the wheel well so that a big meaty wide tire would fit,,
going to a much bigger tire represents more of an issue than availablity of kits,, it also rears the ugly head of body modifications required,, especially in the front,,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so ,, if he was to do the 3 inch RB lift , and the coil springs, and a body lift, QUOTE]

just an FYI, it's already been determined that a 3" lift is too much for the angles relating to CVs and ball joints. adding coils on top of the spacer has also been attempted and obiviously failed as 3" beyond the angle these should go.

It's the equivilant of a 1st gen trying to put a 4" coil without using drop brackets or a 2nd gen doing a 3-4" torsion twist, it's just not intended to go that far and suspension should cylce mid way through the travel cycle, not at the bottom with no down travel.

Back