• Register Today It's free!

Wondering if I got scammed

ChrisInNJ

Reaction score
City, State
Central NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer XLT
:mad:Would GREATLY appreciate your thouhts here.

Back in January I took my 2008 Explorer to Sears Auto to replace radiator and all hoses, fluids, etc.

throughout the year I brought the car to Jiffy Lube for oil changes and they'd always top off all fluids. I went again today - and as winter is coming I wanted to do full Fluids flush/service. The guys at JL said my radiator was loaded with Stop Leak. Also they said the cap and top hose looked new - but the radiator and lower hoses all look old.

I don't want to jump the gun but I'm assuming I never got that new radiator and some mechanics at Sears dumped a bunch of Stop Leak into my old one and simply gave it back to me. As the radiator was supposed to be new as of 9 monhts ago why would it be full of StopLeak? Hmmm.

Is there any way to tell if the radiator in the car is original? Would the dealership from whom I bought the car be able to tell?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....feeling pretty burned here. :mad:
Thanks all.

ChrisInNJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chris, please let us know how this pans out. I'd be interested in Sears response if they didn't change the radiator.

Does the Sears invoice list a new radiator and labor charges to replace it? Radiator brand or part number?

I don't where in central NJ you are, but if you're near me (Jackson), I could take a look and tell you if its an original radiator or if its been replaced.

nleipzinger - will do.

SWSHawaii - new radiator and labor are on the receipt/bill - but not the brand and/or part #

snoranger - I sent you a private message - we live very close to one another and happy to take you up on that offer. thanks!

CinNJ

Keep us posted.

Chris,
I PMed you with my phone #. Text or call me.

Sears was in the national spotlight a few years ago with 20/20 or Dateline, some news crews staged auto repairs and Sears was notorious for ripping off customers. How quickly we forget. Good luck Chris in getting reimbursed. I wouldn't even deal with the store itself, I'd go strait to corporate.

Chris just stopped by...
They replaced the rad and upper + lower hoses with motorcraft parts. (Date stamp cast into the rad of 9/13, sales date on motorcraft sticker on hose 1/14.). They did a piss poor job... Upper hose leaking at both ends and what looks like stop leak in the coolant.

I've seen shops use a new "to me" technique when installing radiators or radiator hoses etc....

Once they have things installed and filled they take a couple of those small stop leak tabs, crush them up and toss them in the system. Apparently they do that to help cut down on bring backs.

I'm not sure if I agree with that method, but I've seen multiple shops do that now...

~Mark

I've seen shops use a new "to me" technique when installing radiators or radiator hoses etc....

Once they have things installed and filled they take a couple of those small stop leak tabs, crush them up and toss them in the system. Apparently they do that to help cut down on bring backs.

I'm not sure if I agree with that method, but I've seen multiple shops do that now...

~Mark

My high school auto tech teacher (mid 80's) put copper coat on the radiator & water pump inlet/outlets. Not me. Have you ever tried to get a hose off that was copper coated? :eek::censored:

Snoranger. You are a class act. Really nice of you to offer to take a look...very appreciated. Glad I got new parts but calling Sears now to reset the hoses and flush system for the cold season.

Back