• Register Today It's free!

Wonky gauges

NJBakaMM

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
This is complicated. So, my 2005 XLT started flashing the battery light, and the message center said "check charging system". This happened very infrequently, but more often over time. Then the "service engine light came on. I took it to my shop, and they read the codes and said it was a bad alternator and thermostat. Ok, they replaced both. Then they said the gauges started going wonky, totally off the charts, the whole dash going in and out, in an out. They said my instrument cluster was going out. I bought a used one, and because I needed my car sooner I had another shop put it in. It didn't work I had to send it back. My guy at the 2nd shop rebuilt mine, my instrument cluster, with one that he had in the shop. Everything was fine. I drove it for about 2 mi everything was working. Then again the same thing, it started going wonky. I took it back to the shop I put it in, and he read the codes and it was throwing codes left and right, not enough charging, too much charging, advanced track problems, etc etc. We don't know what's wrong with it,He's trying to figure it out, He's had it a week now. .My question is, could something have happened at the first shop, when they replaced my alternator? Something that is causing my instrument cluster to go off the rails? Some kind of mistake they made with the wiring when they installed the alternator, because this didn't happen until after they installed the alternator and thermostat. It never did anything with the instrument cluster, not once, just flashed the battery light and the message in the message center to check the charging system, that's it. Could they have done something wrong at the 1st shop?

The gauges are impacted by a bad alternator, or, a bad connection to the PCM. The plugs at the alternator may be loose.

The gauges are impacted by a bad alternator, or, a bad connection to the PCM. The plugs at the alternator may be loose.
You are correct Sir! It turned out that the alternator they put in was defective.

Back