Wont pull in any gear except 4th | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wont pull in any gear except 4th

Robbig34

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4x4 5 Speed
98 Sport 4x4 5speed. Wont pull in any gear except 4th. Wont go into reverse. Im thinking the transmission but before I do all of that I want to make sure to check any other possible areas. Please Help:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had similar symptom several years ago. The truck can only go with the 2nd gear. It was diagnosed as transmission failure and the transmission was replaced with a rebuild one.

Sorry to tell ya, but your transmission is TOAST. Reverse is out beccause 1: Reverse sungear is stripped, or 2. reverse band is broken, or 3. both. The rest of your issues would be your bands, clutch packs, intermediate band, OD band ect ect. Rebuild or replace. Or just buy a new truck!

Which 5 speed do you have, the Mazda? I live in southern California and was able to procure a 5 speed Mazda for about $500, rebuilt with a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. Place is in Ontario, CA and they deliver. Kar King Auto. I installed the tranny and have had the transmission in since March 2012 with no issues.

Which 5 speed do you have, the Mazda? I live in southern California and was able to procure a 5 speed Mazda for about $500, rebuilt with a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. Place is in Ontario, CA and they deliver. Kar King Auto. I installed the tranny and have had the transmission in since March 2012 with no issues.

Im not sure which tranny I have. Where would it be stamped or how would I go about finding out?

The 5 speed Mazda is a manual. I believe it was the only manual offered that year.

Assuming this is a manual transmission, your input gear is stripped. 4th is the only speed that doesn't go throught the input gear and that's why it still works. I've seen this once on a Jeep T-5.

5 speed...ima idiot! Disregard my message.

Back