• Register Today It's free!

wont rev past 2500 rpms

robertseber

Reaction score
City, State
cookeville tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 navajo 4.0 5 spd
so i bought a explorer for the engine. the trans is bad but i cannot get it to rev past 2000 to 2500 and it doesnt miss it seems to run fine down low and when i purchased it they drove it a hour and a half to my house

but it also doesnt feel like a rev limiter of some sort either it just kind of runs out then idk

heres what i have done

i thought the catalytic converters where stopped up so i un hooked the exhaust from the headers still no luck

i checked and made sure there was nothing in intake tube or stopped up air filter it was all good

done a fuel pressure test and it held 40 psi at idle is that what it should be

i am out of ideas anyone ever heard of a problem like this the help will be very much appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is that rpm in gear or in park/neutral? Most newer vehicles will not rev very high when in park or neutral.

all three i tried in park then i put it in drive and reverse and still the same

how much slack is there in the throttle cable?

i actually took black cover off intake manifold and open throttle with hand no go there either thanks for the help everyone any more ideas send them my way im stuck

Plugged catalytic converter....?

Theyve been known to cause these types of problems.

i have checked the air filter and the exhaust is unhooked header back i will clean maf tonight and let u know

I bet you have donethis but take the battery off line and reset the ecu- after you have done the maf clean- that way its forced to learn that things have changed straightaway.
Good luck

Ok I am going definative on this!!!

- IT is your inlet manifold seals, upper and lower..gone brittle and letting in too much air........!!!!

well i should let you guys know something this weekend i already pulled the engine and am going to use my old intake manifold and all old parts from navajo with blowed head gasket i figure it cant be a block or head problem and by the way new gaskets everywhere except for head gasket

This is a very weird issue.

Maybe the ECM is messed up.

sorry for the delay guys when putting the valve stem seals in we found a valve that needed reseated and that put me back i had to wait for that funds should have this thing done this weekend and let you all know how it turned out

well i relapped the valve put head and intake manifold on new o rings in injectors and i broke off a piece in the back where the distributer would be anybody know what this is called and does anyone have a spare one they would trade for some other explorer part i would like to get this thing done asap thanks for everyones help

issue fixed new one now

well i got engine in the 2500 rpm thing is fixed now clutch is not engaging tried gravity bled still nothing and we done the normal bleed procedure with two people im gonna try the unbolting master cylinder tommorow and turning upside down or however it is u do it ill see tommorow and see if that helps

i ended up working it out have no idea what the stall deal was and boy these clutches are a royal pain in the a** but thanks everyone for there help

Back