Won't start 92 EB

mgerard

Reaction score
City, State
Kihei,Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Eddie Baurer Explore
Aloha,
I tried to start when hot and it won't, ok when cold. Know it won't start. Just get a clicking noise. Help.

Mike
92 EB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like your starter or solinoid:(

or about to be a dead battery

Aloha,
Checked the battery with Sears and it is good. Cleaned the terminals on battery , starter, and thing on fenderwell. Still no luck starting.

Mahalo,
Mike

The cables might have corrosion inside them, and they look good on the outside, but won't pass enough current to start your truck. Have you tried jump-starting it?

Aloha,
I did try jumping it with another car. Didn't seem to make any difference.

Mike
92 EB

Are you getting Fuel or spark?

Aloha,
When I turn the key, all i get is a tick, just one tick.

Mike
92 EB

Can you hear the pump kicking on when you turn the key:)

Aloha,
Been working on it myself. When get someone to lend a helping ear, then I'll try that.

Mike
92 EB

Try thr scrader valve and see if you have fuel pressure?

Aloha,
What valve is that?

Mike
92 EB

It looks like a valve stem it sits on your fuel rail real close to the fuel pressure regulator.Use a rag and push the little nozzle in to see if you are getting fuel,just make sure you cover it with a rag so you dont get gas on you:(

When you turn the key to ON, wait a second or two. You should hear a whine from the back which is your fuel pump priming. If you don't hear the whine, then you have either a bad fuel pump relay connection, bad relay itself, or a bad fuel pump.

Since all you are getting is a click when you turn the key to start, I'm guessing it's electrical. As mentioned above, the wires themselves could be bad, otherwise I'd say it's the starter.

Aloha,
I checked the valve and I DO have gas coming out of it. I DO have a whine when I turn the key on from the gas tank.
How do I test the starter solenoid? Starter? without pulling out the starter?

Mike
92 EB

Use a screwdriver and jump the two connections

Aloha,
Does the key need to be on?

Mike
92 EB

This is kind of strange. I have a 92EB with intermittent starting problems, that sounds very similar to this problem. It started a couple of weeks ago. I went to start the truck, and I had power as usual... I heard the fuel pump, turned the key... then click. Great! Made my day! I left the key on and proceeded under the hood. I moved the battery cables, then I heard the solenoid click. Then it started. It happened again yesterday, but I forgot to leave the ignition on. I remembered that, turned the key back on... I did not even get back to the front of the truck and I heard the solenoid click. Turned the key, and it started. I have not figured out what it is yet, I think it is the solenoid.

Any Ideas?

Aloha,
Checked the solenoid with a check light on both terminals and they had power. Checked if there is power going to the starter and there is. Used the "backyard mechanic technique" and hit the starter with a hammer and quess what...it started. Turned it off and tried to start it...click! hammer time again...vroom. I was hoping for a cheaper fix though. I will test the starter first before buying,of course. Mahalo for all the help and ideas. You guys " No ka oi" =are the best. That was hawaiian for yall out there.

Mike
92 EB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try having someone turn the key and tap the starter and selonoid with a hammer. and see if any noise such as grinding or such comes out.... the brushes could be stuck... or not engaging.... if no noise is comming out and it doesnt start feel the selonoid if its hot.... then its the starter.

Back