• Register Today It's free!

won't start help

shelbydog25

Reaction score
City, State
Winchester, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer
My 04 wouldn't start this morning. 60K miles. It has had some intermittent starting issues, meaning on occasion it would crank, but not start. then for a few days it would start as usual, and run great.

today, it just cranks, but won't start. anyone give me place to start to look at. fuel pump? (I believe I hear it engaging when the key is turned in the run position.. I will check again tonight). fuel filter was replaced 2 mos. ago and no rough idleing. when it starts, it runs great.

It also sounds as though the starter solenoid is engaging. All cranking seems normal. daughter said on some occcasions after a "hard start", and it started, the "gauges got all wacky" and the diagnostics window had to recheck itself. PCM issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How's the battery? Just a little suggestion, but sometimes a battery which seems good but is on its way out can act retarded. Take a DMM to it and measure the voltage, or do it though the on board test mode. Should run around 12ish volts with nothing else running (Radio, AC, heat).

haven't put a volt meter on it yet, will test it tonight. tried to start it with a battery booster, with headlights on and off. plenty of cranking power, but still no start.

You need three things to get the engine turning; Compression, Spark, and Gas.

I assume your spark plugs are working because when it does turn over, it runs great, so I would check on the fuel system. Also, I know the truck has the CEL lit while it's not turned over, but grab a reader and check it if you can anyway, maybe something else may be wrong that it can tell you. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

It could be any number of things. Intermittent issues with the ignition, a crank position sensor going bad jump right to mind.

i was thinking the battery as well. the same thing happens with me when i disconnect the battery for to long.

try starting it while getting a boost, (if it wasnt done already) it that works then the battery needs to be charged. if that doesnt work,,,

it could be fuel pump.
ecu improper bank trims.

but i would bet on a low battery

thanks for the posts... dealer says battery, cranking power down to 200 cca... they boost started it, said it was flooded. recommending a new battery. I'm still sceptical, as it would turn over without a boost and not start for me. with a boost (I put on it), I recieved 12.35 volts on volt meter, cranked, and still no start for me. Dealer claims low battery can sometimes not produce enough info to PCM, which I agree is possible, but even with a boost I put on it, one would think it still should have started. guess i'll pick it up at the dealer as see what happens... ;o

if you had a security light on it might be PATSII issue.
for me i'd swap in a new battery, or borrow one from another car and see if that makes a difference. My battery would drain down and sotra crank but not start. the eye was black too, but the funny thing was, i took in to have it tested and it tested good. New battery and all was well.

Back