Won't start, loud rapid clicking sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Won't start, loud rapid clicking sound

leocestak

Reaction score
City, State
Lowell Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bower
I have been having this problem for a while, i changed my alternator twice in the month and brand new battery 3x and it still killing my battery... any idea of what could be happening???
I jumped started the car yesterday, and unpluged the + plug and once i went to work this morning, the battery was dead again... help please!!! :mad:

Check your alt output, it should be around 13.5 volts.
You need a multimeter you can get them cheap, get one!
Just connect it to your battery posts (black on neg, red on pos. with meter set to volts) with the engine running, then turned off. off should read around 12, engine on 13.5, 0r 13.8 -something like that.

if you rule out the alternator for sure then you have some kind of drain, search "troubleshooting parasitic battery drain" on the net, or even here and you can learn how to look for that problem.

A multimeter is essential for all sorts of electrical problems and troubleshooting. I have had my 10 dollar one for ten years now and it has served me well.

let us know how you do.

Look for lights that shouldn't be on too. Recently had the same problem & noticed (in the dark) that my glove box light was staying on due to a bad switch. Tore it out & no problems to date.

Back