• Register Today It's free!

Won't Start, Stranded

topcat

Reaction score
City, State
B'ham AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
My 1994 explorer v-6 was running fine. I stopped at a store and when I came back out to start, it would not start. It tries to start but doesn't. Acts like maybe a car that is not getting enough fuel to start. It is half full of gas. Recently, two months ago had similar problem. I changed the fuel filter and had no other problems until now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you turn the key to the ON position, you should hear the fuel pump run for a second or 2. If not, then the pump is not pumping. This could be a bad fuel pump relay/fuse, inertia switch, or the fuel pump itself. Start with the simple stuff like the relay/fuse.

Definitely start with the fuel pump relay and/or the EEC relay. You can switch these with the A/C relay for testing purposes. I had the same problem with my 94, it would not start when it was warm but it started and ran fine when cold.

we have the same problem with our 96... i tracked it down to the fuel pump relay...... when it doesnt start, i open the hood, take the cover off the fuse box and smack the relay a couple times.... then it starts....

My 98 XLT V6 SOHC will start when its cold, but any restart inside 10 minutes doesn't happen when the engines warm. It tries to turn but just won't go... Both times I was low on gas.. 1st time it fired up with gas right away, next time yesterday, I filled 1/2 tank, then it finally went after about 10 minutes...

I checked the plugs, which are sparking... and the fuel pressure is there from the check with a screwdriver pushing down on the nozzle. I'm not sure at what efficiency the pressure is running though, could be low. If I'm not mistaken, 40psi+ is adequate, 70psi is stable? I'm replacing spark plugs anyway, and a new air filter.

Battery is good, no check engine light, I have to think its an intermittent fuel pump problem. Should I install the new pump and see what I get, or are there easier things that should be checked like fuses, etc.? Might it be a bigger problem and is it worth a diagnostic to check codes?

Thanks a lot...
Chris

Back