won't start, tried everything please help, going to tweak out. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

won't start, tried everything please help, going to tweak out.

titansarrow

Reaction score
City, State
dayton, oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer
i have a 91 explorer that's been sitting dead for the last month. when i try to start it, it has power (radio, lights etc.), the fuel pump turns on (can hear the whine), but the only thing that happens when i pop the clutch and turn the key is a single click kind of noise that sounds like it comes from the front passenger side.
i have a newer alternator, a powered battery (have tried jumping already), and as of today a new starter.

all of the leads/end of the cables are cleaned, there was a decent bit of corrosion on the starter end of the positive cable, but i cleaned that. i'm pretty sure i hooked up the starter right, not sure how i wouldn't, positive on the top starter bolt, and small cable cut, crimped and shrinked to the starter side.

the only thing i can think of a burned out cable, or part of one maybe? I really don't want to have it towed to a shop to have them diagnose it all damn day.

i've also checked fluids and misc things like that, not that it'd necessarily matters. So any help would be appreciated guys, thanks ahead of time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you didnt mention anything about the starter solenoid but id replace that its just behind the battery and the small wire coming off the battery goes to it

...not sure where that is. is that the little black thing to the left of the battery; bolted to the fender wall? it has like 3 wires coming out of it?

Yep, that would be it.
Sounds as though yours is junk and needs to be replaced

And take a look at those battery leads again if you didn't get them shiny. One time mine wouldn't start and it was due to darkish/black/grey corrosion. They didn't really look corroded. Make sure the post and terminals are nice and shiny. Use some Permatex spray anti-corrosion on them, not the cleaner. Sounds like you are on the right track with this. Don't feel bad about replacing those parts. Will make it more reliable. I've had all of those items go bad. Last time I did a starter was on a late 80's K5 Blazer. Was out 4x4ing and it wouldn't start. Had to drive into town to get one then go change it in the dirt.

thanks for the info guys. i'm pretty much done with this truck, even as a back up vehicle it gives me hell lol. i'll be looking around for the solenoid today

Probably only be a $15 - $20 part. Very easy to replace, too.
It is available at all atuo parts stores worth a damn. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT run off to pepboys/autozone or the likes of them. They sell cheaply made parts imported from god knows where. Open the phonebook and find the local guy where when you walk into the place you can smell oil and grease. Thats the place to buy auto parts.
Go to the cheap places to get oil/chemicals.

Another thing to check would be a dead battery, I'm not sure why, but when my battery went out about a year ago, I couldn't even get her jump-started. I think is has something to do with the alternator energy still having to flow through the cells or somesuch. Anyway, I swapped in a new battery and she fired right up. (and yes, i did make sure all the connections and terminals were clean and tight before yanking the battery to have it tested)

I'd coat them with some anti-oxidant to keep off any future corrosion. And Autozone does suck.. I'm liking Schucks\Oreilly lately.

the only thing i'm worried about is the wires on the solenoid. not sure what comes with the new one (if there's new wires, or just the body). if there aren't new wires.....could that open the possibility that there's just a fried cable? also, is there a way to say, test power leaving the solenoid? i assume if it was bad it would either not allow current, or maybe not enough to reach the starter? i haven't spent too much time breaking down the mechanics of a starter system lol.

Probably only be a $15 - $20 part. Very easy to replace, too.
It is available at all atuo parts stores worth a damn. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT run off to pepboys/autozone or the likes of them. They sell cheaply made parts imported from god knows where. Open the phonebook and find the local guy where when you walk into the place you can smell oil and grease. Thats the place to buy auto parts.

for something i need quality for, if ii don't order offline or personally know a small town shop, i typically go to napa. all the ones i've been to have an air of professionalism

Another thing to check would be a dead battery, I'm not sure why, but when my battery went out about a year ago, I couldn't even get her jump-started. I think is has something to do with the alternator energy still having to flow through the cells or somesuch. Anyway, I swapped in a new battery and she fired right up. (and yes, i did make sure all the connections and terminals were clean and tight before yanking the battery to have it tested)

....wouldn't that mean i wouldn't have ANY power? and i've almost shocked myself a few times, so i know there's current getting to the starter lol. i was stupidy wire brushing the power leads and i rubbed the ground on the starter.

Yeah, there is a way to check the solenoid.
Try crossing the posts with an old screwdriver that you dont care too much about as the electrical arc may "eat" the tip. It should engage the starter. If it does, your solenoid is junk.

Actually, NAPA is where I go for most of my parts. They know their stuff compared to those other places.

Hi:

The solenoid has three wires on it. A battery wire (faces front), a starter wire (faces rear), and a ignition wire (center of solenoid). There a re a couple of simple test that you can do to help narrow down the problem.

Use an alligator wire to connect battery wire to ignition wire. A click means solenoid is probably bad. Now use the alligator wire to connect battery wire to starter wire. (This is the same test the repair shops use.) If the second test works and the first failed than solenoid is bad. If the second test failed then the battery source or starter is bad. NOTE: vehicle in park/neutral and ignition key in off position.

Trust that helps
PaMnd

well, that test is probly moot anyway being that i just put a new starter on...and the solenoid is so cheap.

i have an odd question too. i've been looking for the past hour for a picture of the solenoid. i know what the part its self looks like, but i'm not sure where it is on the truck, other than near the battery. i think i know, but if it is where i think it is, there's kind of a plastic cover on it. and that's what's throwing it off for me.

well, that test is probly moot anyway being that i just put a new starter on...and the solenoid is so cheap.

i have an odd question too. i've been looking for the past hour for a picture of the solenoid. i know what the part its self looks like, but i'm not sure where it is on the truck, other than near the battery. i think i know, but if it is where i think it is, there's kind of a plastic cover on it. and that's what's throwing it off for me.

This from Rockauto:
getimage.php

And if you can not see it, try clicking HERE

must have skipped over that pic on there. all the ones i saw looked like the part ON the starter; the cylinder part.

I had this problem to drove me crazy!! It was the ground on the block on the passenger side of the block,cleaned it started right up.try that its free and I bet money this is you problem

2nd Gen and up have the solenoid on the starter. the 1st Gen is on the fender well.

91 is a first gen, right?

I had a 92 and I remember the starter solenoid on the fender wall.
Cant he just jump that out to test?

This sounds like a bad cable to me. Clean connection pads is one thing but what about inside the crimp on connections?

Cant he just jump the gen 1 from the + on the battery to the starter with a set of jumper cables? If you disconnect everything from the starter relay that should work. I think......

Bob

I had this problem to drove me crazy!! It was the ground on the block on the passenger side of the block,cleaned it started right up.try that its free and I bet money this is you problem

Oh ya, and ground the engine block with the - side of the battery using the jumper cables. JD is correct, you cant believe what problems a bad ground to the block can create.

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes that's what firat gen is 91-94.yeas he can jump it at the solenoid.if that don't work take a jumper cable and hook it the the negtive of the battery and conect it to the bottom bolt that mounts the starter or to a good ground spot on the motor then try and start it.that would eliminate a ground issue.

Back