• Register Today It's free!

Wont start

NW Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Lancashire England
Year, Model & Trim Level
Thought it was going too well.
wont start! RAC been out came to same conclusion as me.interuptor switch linked to auto box u.s .anyone had this replaced? cost?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some of us don't speak Englsh very well :D
I understand RAC as the Royal Auto Club, but interruptor and auto box have me stumped.

A good stickie for diagnosing starter problems is in the under the hood (bonnet) forum
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146784

Feel free to ask questions.

I'm going to take a guess at this one. The interrupter switch is for the transfer case, since it is connected to the gear box (transmission). Unless the interrupter switch is for the overdrive, but I doubt it. So the problem is with the 4 X 4 transfer case not engaging into drive. Does it feel like it's in neutral? Have you checked the fluid level of the transmission? Does this only happen in certain settings of the transfer case? Are we talking about an automatic, or manual transmission?

I think the 'interupter switch' may be the 'inhibitor' switch that prevents the starter from turning the engine if the gear selector is not in 'P' or 'N'. I'm not familiar with the Explorer unit but on older cars it was possible to bypass the switch (by way of a temporary test) by simply pulling the wires and joining them together. WARNING!!! With the switch bypassed it is possible to start the engine with the selector in ANY position including 1,2,and 'D'...

Simon H

Hi I have to agree with Simon, sounds like the Starter Inhibiter switch.
According to the Chilton Book it is called the Transmission Range Sensor Switch and it controls the Reversing Lights as well. And it also connects to the Power Train Module? which then adjusts fuel and spark timing. It also says that you need a special Alignment Tool to set it. Sounds like it could be a real pain.
I will have a look under mine tomorrow as we have the same model year to see if I can make some sense of it.

Hi
Sorry didn't get chance today, been one of those days.
I will have a look over the weekend
Cheers
John

Thanks for replys. Fault has been traced to the interuptor switch.So basically the car thinks its in gear all the time and wont let the starter run.Ive by-passed this ,so now i can start it in any gear,but have ordered a switch from Ford £80.00.

Back