• Register Today It's free!

won't start

jolenes

Reaction score
City, State
friedens,Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 mazda navajo
:navajo:we everyone i have replaced the coil pack, ignition switch, key switch, batt trems, selinoid on the fender wall, fuel filter, and the start and start selinoid. So why won't it still start? It turns over but won't start. Is there a way to test the fuel pump with out taking it out? plz help a girl out....:navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it should develop pressure when you turn the key on, as it will run for 3-4 secs without the engine cranking.

find the pressure test port on the fuel rail, and see if you have enough pressure using a fuel pressure gauge (make sure to use one for fuel injection). I dont know the numbers you need to look for, but probably about 30 psi or more is normal.

if the fuel press is gone (pump not running), then swap out the fuel pump relay with another one (there are several that are the same). the relay is a fairly common failure.

also, check the fuel pump cut-off switch (not sure where its mounted), but it may have been tripped, preventing the pump from running.

...When you turn the key just to the on position, do you here the fuel pump whir for about 3-5 seconds???

This sounds like the same problem that drove me nuts for 3 years. Cranks over fine by doesn't start. Turn the key to the "on" position the check engine light should come on.
If not try changing the EEC Relay $10 Advance Auto.

I had this intermitent problem for three years, I changed the Ignition Key Lock, the ignition switch. The last time this happened I opened the Power Distribution Box, touched the EEC relay and the fuel pump started running. Oh yes I also tried changing the fuel pump relay which wasn't the problem. After I changed the EEC relay ,never had the problem again, it has been a whole 6 weeks. The fuel pump relay and EEC are the same part as are the other 4 relays in the Power Distribution Box

This sounds like the same problem that drove me nuts for 3 years. Cranks over fine by doesn't start. Turn the key to the "on" position the check engine light should come on.
If not try changing the EEC Relay $10 Advance Auto.

I had this intermitent problem for three years, I changed the Ignition Key Lock, the ignition switch. The last time this happened I opened the Power Distribution Box, touched the EEC relay and the fuel pump started running. Oh yes I also tried changing the fuel pump relay which wasn't the problem. After I changed the EEC relay ,never had the problem again, it has been a whole 6 weeks. The fuel pump relay and EEC are the same part as are the other 4 relays in the Power Distribution Box

the check engine light does come and it stays on. is there anything else i can do before i have to buy a $83 fuel pump?

...When you turn the key just to the on position, do you here the fuel pump whir for about 3-5 seconds???

sometimes u can hear it but sometimes u can't

As someone stated earlier, try to find the fuel pump relay. It might be going bad, which would give you the same symptom. I've seen many people that just the relay has gone, or was going bad. It's a 20 dollar part if that's all it is.

As for where the relay is I'm not sure...

The fuel pumpl relay is in the power distribution box under the hood. You should be able to switch it with one of the other relays (maybe AC) to see if it makes any difference.

Back