Wont Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wont Start

phillyfan92

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer 4WD
Hi, i have a 1999 eddie bauer explorer and it has been giving me problems. I ran out of gas one day and after i filled it up it was fine for about a week or so. Then out of nowhere the engine would die randomly but start up again and be fine for a few days. Then finally it just wouldnt keep running again. It would start and then die. Figuring it was a fuel problem i replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, and the fuel pump relay. Now the fuel pump wont turn on. The new relay i got did have one difference from the original however, the middle plug was an 87q and the original was an 87a, but i was told it doesnt make a difference. I also checked the fuel pump shutoff switch and it is in the correct position. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance for your help

swap relay?

I believe you can swap the fuel pump relay in the Battery Junction Box with either of the rear wiper relays in the same box.

Does "Check Engine" illuminate when the ignition key is switched to Run? If not, then you don't have power to the PCM. Try swapping the PCM power relay in the Battery Junction Box with the blower motor relay.
See: Fuel Pump Electrical Procedure

I have tried both relays and no luck with that. the check engine light does come on when primed. The fuel pump isnt turning on though

Back