wont turn on

yeyo999

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
ok, these were previous symptoms

I turn on the vehicle (not hard to start) but when i shift into reverse the idle seems to drop like if the vehicle is going to shut off on me. (all the gauges on the dash do that little jump, drop down but then jump back up to normal level.

What just happend today is i turned it on with out a problem, threw it in reverse to back up and she wouldnt budge. She was done. She wont turn on

I just replaced the spark plugs and cables last week. However, after replacing those components it still continued to hesitate when i would shift it in reverse. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm a broke college student :D

its a 1999 Sport SOHC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome that sux ur x wont turn on

just to keep you guys posted. I went back to mess with the car, and it just turned on. I threw it in reverse, it hesitated but did not shut off on me. I put it on drive and reverse several times, it did not turn off on me but it did hesitate each time.

(when i say hesitate i mean it seems like it wants to turn off)

I still want to diagnose the problem and repair it so that it doesnt happen to me when i'm driving around town

i replaced the idle air control valve, I am having the same issue, it has not turned off on me but the idle rpm changes. My car sits in the garage during the week, i live near my school, i just walk. Sometimes i turn the vehicle on and it will iddle at 1000 rpm, other moments i turn it on and it iddles at about 500 rpm then it drops as if the vehicle is gonna is gonna stall on me but then i just climbs up back to 500 rpm

first question, is it just in my head and the vehicle is suppose to iddle at 500 rpm when in park. ( the car has sat for a couple of days so the engine is not warm. )

thanks guys, any help is greatly appreciated

My EX is the 5.0 and it idles at 1200 until it cycles about 30-45 seconds then it drops to about 800 rpm.

Hows the trans fluid level?
Last oil change? What oil?

Few things you can try...
Clean the MAF
Clean the throttle body and intake.
Could try seafoam as well.

I have some how to videos in the link in my signature if you want to check them out.

Back