• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Wood stove or Pellet stove??

JoshC

Only rolled it once honey
Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
Anyone have an opinion on either of these? It will be free standing. I know about the pads to put them on and what all goes along with it. I just want to know which one we should buy.

I've heard that a pellet stove can be vented like a drier??

I can get all kinds of wood for free. Don't have a ton of space to store pellets, plus you have to buy them.

Anyone have a pellet stove?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Premier

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
I worked at a lodge that had a pellet stove. It really didnt put off too much heat, but they ran it nearly 24hrs a day. Yea you have to buy pellets all the time, and they always need refilled. If you are looking for something to keep you warm, nothing is better that a wood burning stove.

MrShorty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spanish Fork, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
How much do pellets cost? When I had a wood burning stove, my intention in using it was to heat my house in such a way as to cut my overall heating costs. Like you, I could get wood for little or nothing. The house I live in now has a gas fireplace, and it just doesn't seem worth it, because it's the same gas, same cost (if not more because it's less efficient than the central furnace), and all that.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
If you have access to free wood than it beats a pellet stove hands down. I think dollar for dollar if you have to buy wood, the pellet stove would be cheaper. My parents have a free standing wood stove that they run all year. In the summer one load lasts over 24hrs. It heats all the hot water for the house, and is faster to recover than a normal water heater. Are the stoves you are looking at water baseboards, or air?

X24

RAMajama
Reaction score
City, State
Pleasant Valley, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
If it's your main source of heat I would recommend a pellet stove. We had a woodstove for 15 years and it was such a hassle. We burned about 6 cords a year and it was no fun stacking it in the pile, then stacking it on the trailer, then taking it from the trailer to the house. Also, its not as easy to keep the house a steady temperature.

With a pellet stove all you have to do is push a button and set the thermostat. We burn about 3 tons a year which is just slightly less than the cost of 6 cords of wood so its cheaper that way. We keep the pellets in our shed and bring about 10 bags in the house at a time. Most of the time dumping one bag in at night will last till the next night except for the really, really cold days. This is the third season we'll be using a pellet stove (just fired it up tonight actually) and I would never go back to wood.

This is all based on the fact that this is how we heat our entire house. We dont have oil and the heat in the house is all electric so that is very costly. If you are planning on getting something small to only heat a room or two then wood might be better if you can get it cheap.

Oh man, just thinking about carrying wood makes my back hurt.

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I say wood if you get it for free. Pops had a pellet stove and it worked well but you loose the added atmosphere a wood stove provides. I vote for wood!

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Wood is much more of a mess, and is less convenient.

X24

RAMajama
Reaction score
City, State
Pleasant Valley, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
Originally posted by Positive Vibes
Iyou loose the added atmosphere a wood stove provides. I vote for wood!
You must be thinking of a fire place. A wood stove doesnt really create a nice atmosphere since the window just kinda glows red... if it has a window at all.

This is our pellet stove. Its up on bricks because I've been too lazy to build a platform for it the past 3 years. I think we're gonna trade it in for an insert soon anyway. This one looks nice when the flames get big. It just started up so the fire isnt too big. It looks nice because it has such a big window and stuff.

Attachments

• pellet01.jpg
    pellet01.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 190

Premier

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
We had an insert that burned wood in our lod house, had a blower and everything. It was really cool, except when it was really burning you couldnt stand to be in the same room with the damn thing.

Thats a nice pellet stove too!

Redrig

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gettysburg,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
i never had any experience with a pellet stove. i have used a wood stove for years and i like it. if you pack the wood in right and control your damper correctly it should last you a good amount of time and be a controlled amount of heat. i vote wood lol what kind of house is this going to be in and where would you put it?

Redrig

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gettysburg,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
but that would take all the fun out of it :rolleyes: ;)

JoshC

Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
Geez, i didn't expect to come back to this type of a response.

I ended up calling a friend who had 2 stoves for sale last year, and he still had them for sale, so i bought the bigger one. It's wood. I got a really good deal on it and it looks really nice.

This is not the main heat source for the house. We have electric heat and it really isn't expensive to heat our house. Last year was freaking cold and it ran us about 70 bucks a month on average.

My main reason for the stove is back up heat. I don't want to be stuck with no heat when the power goes out. Plus i think if you do it right and don't go the cheap route then it makes the place look better.

That is a nice pellet stove you posted. I like them too and both have their ups and downs. I wish i would have taken my camera with me show i could post a picture of it. It's black with gold trim, something like the pellet above, but not that much glass on the front.

I'll probably get started on my floor stand and my wall board this weekend so i could possibly use it next week, but i have to find someone to install my pipe throught the roof.

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
I had a pellet stove for a few years and I liked it I would buy a pallet of pellets and store them in the garage and it wasn't bad at all.

Crankcase

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver B.C, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XL Ex-Police
I have actually been inside the pellet plant a few times....I was riding shotgun in the truck transporting the pellets out.....it is a really neat idea.....how much are the bags of pellets?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

JoshC

Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
My buddy bought a pellet stove this summer and has 3 tons in his garage. He said he paid 150 per ton. I talked to him a bunch about his, and if i wanted to spend the money on a new stove, then i probably would have got a pellet, but i don't know that i could afford to buy pellets after that! lol