• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Wood stove or Pellet stove??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

YourmamaISSOL

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Coopersburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
i may be bias because i have a huge Wood stove,, The reason i would not convert to pellet is because, if you are like me and the wife and like that wood smell and some nice hot coco on a cold night. Then nothing will do better than burnning wood. ill post a pic tonight so you can all see.

But in the winter we just put the kettle on top of the stove and cozy up in a blanket, watch some tv and all is well.

JoshC

Only rolled it once honey
Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
Yeah, the more pictures the better.

Speaking of pictures, maybe you all could post how i should build a non combustable platform for the floor and one for the wall behind the stove. I was thinking about getting some cool stone like ceramic tile from Lowes or Home Depot and making it like that. Ideas?

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
Ah but they make some stuff you can put in with the pellets to make them smell like real wood burning or strawberries all sorts of smells. We used some recently when we stayed at a cabin I think the scent was cinnamon.

YourmamaISSOL

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Coopersburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
i know i said i would post this last night but i was too tired.... so here is one with the doors closed.

Attachments

• closed.jpg
    closed.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,926

YourmamaISSOL

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Coopersburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
and one with the doors open.

Attachments

• open.jpg
    open.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 3,765

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Is that stove a Timberline? My buddy has a smaller one and loves it.

YourmamaISSOL

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Coopersburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Its a Glaicer Box i brought it down from alaska with me.... it was 17 yeas old when i bought it 6 years ago.

X24

RAMajama
Reaction score
City, State
Pleasant Valley, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
I'll bet that carpet has a few melted spots on it. :)
When we had a woodstove the carpet in front of ours had so many melted spots from cinders that would pop out when you put a piece in.

BTW... anyone in my area looking for a woodstove, we still have it in the garage. Come and get it for CHEAP!!

zekex2

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 5.0 L AWD
Wood stoves will keep working when the power is out.:D

checkedout

Reaction score
City, State
Falling Waters WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
You can get a battery back up option for your pellet stove if your area loses power allot. I had an inverter and a couple deep cycle bateries in the garage if I needed them.

JoshC

Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
We laid the tile today for the stove. I did a 4x8 area in front of the door. Looks good IMO. Later today i'll do the grout work and then tomorrow we pick up the stove. I have a guy coming the first part of the week to look at the pipe installation. I can't wait, now i need to find some wood! lol

JoshC

Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
I got the grout work done and the stove set on it. Let me know what you think. My first time with grout. Took me about 3 hours to get it fine toned.

Attachments

• im001189.jpg
    im001189.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 464

JoshC

Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
That wood chest won't be there, my wife just put it there. I also have to strecth the carpet back and nail it down then get the transition pieces to go around it.

Attachments

• im001190.jpg
    im001190.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 474

JoshC

Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
Last one.

I cut a load of wood last night and i'm going to try to get another one today after work and get the pipe so that guy can install it, if he ever calls me back.

Attachments

• im001191.jpg
    im001191.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 448

JoshC

Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
Exactly my point to my wife when i told her why we needed to do at least a 4x8. Plus, we have 2 golden retrievers how track in alot of mud and snow in the winter, so we can wipe their feet off INSIDE this year!

jasonb

Jackstand Wheeler
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Suwanee, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4x4
looks good. i'd almost consider laying another row of tile so you have lots of room in front of the stove. like someone said above, the carpet will have little burnt spots in it before you know it. you could also put a little cheap throw rug down over the carpet right there. otherwise.. i think it looks nice. the worst thing about tile is wiping the grout off.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
That looks very nice. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

JoshC

Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
Thanks fellas.

I think i'll pick up an asbestos rug to put in front of the stove door.

The guy that is suppose to do the pipe work for me hasn't called me yet. I'm going to try to buy my pipe today after work and talk to some one about installing it and i think that dad and i might try to do it ourselves saturday.