Work in progress, TONS of pics. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Work in progress, TONS of pics.

Looking great! It almost looks like you know what you're doing. ;)

And to think ive never done this before... its truly pretty simple. I have always learned that the only real way to REALLY learn something... is just to dive into it, you QUICKLY learn... your forced to.. lol... and when your on the job, you will quickly come to find that its all simple.

You and section525 must have gotten your paint booth at the same place. :p:

Especially the ones that have a shade all day long with little wind ;).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks awesome and i never noticed the lights mounted under the grille there... nice fabrication... truck is rediculously clean and nice work so far... l

Thanks guys...

ooks like uve got ur hands full with the electrical so good luck

You think?

Wires.jpg

And to think ive never done this before... its truly pretty simple. I have always learned that the only real way to REALLY learn something... is just to dive into it, you QUICKLY learn... your forced to.. lol... and when your on the job, you will quickly come to find that its all simple.

I think you are quoting one of my PM's to you from a while ago. ;) :thumbsup: In the world famous words of Nike, "Just do it!"......

I think you are quoting one of my PM's to you from a while ago. ;) :thumbsup: In the world famous words of Nike, "Just do it!"......

You know.. I think your right ;) I do recall you saying that... im actually having fun

That pic is from yest at about 6pm... Thats when I got ALL the wires from the cabin to the engine bay... I went to bed at about 2:30pm last night (would have done an all nighter is it wasn't for my wife)... pretty much have all those wires loomed on the passenger side where the dist box is going..

Here are a couple of projects ive Frankensteined before...

This is prob the worlds only 3speed .21 RC-10 GT... I call it the Monster GT. Its a combination of a Schumacher Menace, T-Maxx and RC-10 GT.

GT2SPEED2.jpg

And this is a 2001 YZ250 I had bored to a 265 and actually made it street legal.. the upgrades are endless... I did 109mph on that thing on GPS.... for a 250 2-stroke that FAST... I geared it as low as the sprockets would fit, and the extra power from the big bore was enough to still take the front tire off the ground through first and second. Yes that's an aux gas tank on the left fender.

I had to sell this baby.. I regret it so much...

000_0841.jpg

And this is what I raced:

1999 YZ250. I bought this bike from a guy and it was THRASHED... I tore it to the bones, literally, sent off the motor... port and polished it and changed just about everything on it...

101_4804.jpg

This was all when I was living in Cozumel... about 3 years ago... here I am doing some practice laps... note the lap counter on the front fender ;)

I use to terrorize the streets of Cozumel :) I could take it to work... cops didnt give a dam. I built that track... rented bob cats and got to work. Well the track was there but I totally remodeled it. :)

Alexdouble1.jpg

Ok back to the garage............

You have been a good mentor ;)

BEFORE:

Wires.jpg

AFTER:

I have tucked away each section in its own loom incase I ever have to remove or repair. For instance I have a 3 gauge pod on my dash, 3 gauge pod on the council, and a 2 gauge pillar pod, each one can be pulled out individually. Same with the other accessories. Thats why you see so many looms.

I did not wrap the looms in electrical tape incase I ever need to get into one. I'm not going to leave all those little looms hanging out... im going wrap all of them in one single big one.

I'm going to finish off some more electrical thats left, then a few mechanical things, them move onto making the distribution box with relays etc.

Wirescleaned.jpg

Man I love the looks of Toyo Proxes! What size are those?

Yeah I LOVE these tires. Tires feel awesome... quiet, handle great, tread is lasting really long and super smooth on the highway.

I have 295-40-20's on all four corners. I think the rims are 20x9.5''

Can't remember the offset but they sit just right. The wheel and tire setup is something im really happy with.

You have been a good mentor ;)

Thanks. You have definitely surprised me seeing your motivation with your truck. Why do you think I am planning to go to twin turbos with the X? Because that is the only thing I can do to try to keep you from catching me, damnit. :D

Thanks. You have definitely surprised me seeing your motivation with your truck. Why do you think I am planning to go to twin turbos with the X? Because that is the only thing I can do to try to keep you from catching me, damnit. :D

lol... Yeah I know.... now your going to make me get TT's mister... those have been cooking in the back of my head for a while now. But to do that im going to have to upgrade some internals to handle a LITTLE more power ;) More like a lot more power... lol... You planned well with your internals my friend....

I'm going the 5r55 route and I need to first test its limits.

So it will be a while before I get some TT's. But I definitely will some day, not sure if single or double though. I'm sure you have done your homework on the turbo. So twins over the single for sure?

lol... Yeah I know.... now your going to make me get TT's mister... those have been cooking in the back of my head for a while now. But to do that im going to have to upgrade some internals to handle a LITTLE more power ;) More like a lot more power... lol... You planned well with your internals my friend....

I'm going the 5r55 route and I need to first test its limits.

So it will be a while before I get some TT's. But I definitely will some day, not sure if single or double though. I'm sure you have done your homework on the turbo. So twins over the single for sure?

Yeah, I had started preliminary (contingent) planning for the turbos for the Explorer before I even did the Kenne Bell on it. The possibility of me trying to shoot for close to 1,000 hp is why I decided to go for broke when I got the shortblock with its billet internals.

I am an STS Turbo dealer so I do quite a bit of homework on turbos for various vehicles, my Explorer included. Twins are the way to go for quicker spool so they are best IMPO. Peak hp will suffer a little bit but for this heavy of a vehicle we need as quick of a spool as possible. Still with ported heads, turbo friendly cams, and other supporting mods the 2v 4.6's have seen 900+rwhp with a good tune.

Very nice clean work Alex, on the wiring and truck. I know how it is to clean all of those parts, and to keep thing clean when you are working on them. Can you get any wax on those white under hood body panels, or is it too late? My 99 had complete new paint under the hood, the whole clip, and it looks like any other truck now. Regards,

Very nice clean work Alex, on the wiring and truck. I know how it is to clean all of those parts, and to keep thing clean when you are working on them. Can you get any wax on those white under hood body panels, or is it too late? My 99 had complete new paint under the hood, the whole clip, and it looks like any other truck now. Regards,

Depressing isn't it?

Yes, we really should have videos made by the friends/someone, so we can prove we spent so much time etc.

All the grounds are on the left and pwr's on the right. A lot of wires I already connected. They went to sending units etc.

Wiring.jpg

You know whats funny. Last night I thought... DAM I should have gone out and bought about 20 tapes and videoed the entire thing from start to finish. I could just put it on a pod and let it run. Then run it in real fast forward for a nice video. Oh well to late now. That would have been very cool though.

Yeah I look at my engine bay and say, crap I don't even want to drive it now... lol... its going to get dirty, and look like any ordinary motor like you said.. lol Oh well, the truth is that I fixed huge problems it had and that alone was all worth it clean or dirty.

Don: Yes I actually used rubbing compound on ALL the paint my fingers could reach. Made a huge difference.

Man I woke up late today... ok back to the garage :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Off topic but kinda onn topic... are you sure you have 20x9.5 rims with 295's?
Cause my rims are 22x9.5 and all the tire places 265. I think you rims may be 20x10.

Reason asking is because i want larger tires for my rims and all these places say that they wont fit the truck. If you have 9.5 rims with 295 tires on it then it would be alot cheaper and easier to find tires of that size for my 22's.

Back