Work in progress, TONS of pics. | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Work in progress, TONS of pics.

Interesting. I am amazed that under boost little restrictions don't hurt much. The runners in the intake bend very tight in the Cobra and Lightning manifolds. I was trying to plan a custom intake with nice straight runners etc. I hope the turbo piping etc. is similar for its needs. Keep going Alex, you are getting close.

Those wider ears on the new case are very important for the upper rpm flow and allow the ports to stay open a little longer to fill up the SC better.

The manifold and case is at the shop right now. After talking to the shop and Charles it looks like the only real way to do this right is to hack off the entire throat on the manifold and just make an entire new piece that will morph into the shape of the case.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

why not make some type of spacer plate or will that throw your pulleys off.

why not make some type of spacer plate or will that throw your pulleys off.

We looked at cutting the flange and making a new one to replicate the inlet on the case but would not do much as it would be still be to restrictive right before it.

The inlet of the case (the ears/smiley face) are designed to take over at high rpm's where the stock case fails and the only real way to get the volume of air required for high rpms is to have a wide throat all the way through. I am pullied for around 19,800 rpm's so I need as much of that inlet flow as I can get.

Yeah what you are saying WILL work, but I would be leaving a lot behind. Well a spacer wouldn't work because of the positioning of the case and pulley, but putting a new flange is about the same idea that you meant.

I thought at a glance that you might be doing that. That will leave the SC intact, and bolt in normally.

Here is the adapter plate being made by the shop. Kearney Mesa Welding does top notch work if anyone needs any work in the San Diego area, and the guys are great there.

BloweCasePlate.jpg

Couple more spy shots. SORRY for the camera pics. Still more welding and porting to do. Turning out very nice. The hole will allow him to port and polish down the tunnel, and once the "cap" is welded back in place he can grind the welds out of the inside and port/polish it out nicely with the blower case off.

After this I might get my runners ported and polished also (flow benched), not just gasket matched.

m90magnumpowers1.jpg

m90magnumpowers2.jpg

m90magnumpowers3.jpg

m90magnumpowers4.jpg

i envy you my friend....

Here is the adapter plate being made by the shop. Kearney Mesa Welding does top notch work if anyone needs any work in the San Diego area, and the guys are great there.

BloweCasePlate.jpg

would they be able to make some custom side steps specifically for the 3rd gens?

would they be able to make some custom side steps specifically for the 3rd gens?

Oh easy. I have seen some badass custom buggys and race cars they have built. Give Don a call.

Sorry for bad camera pics again. Almost finished:

m90powers3.jpg

m90powers2.jpg

m90powers1.jpg

m90powers5.jpg

m90powers4.jpg

That set up just screams " VIOLENCE " in a good way though !!!!!!

so badass... i envy you sir !!!!

Danny

That set up just screams " VIOLENCE "

Hell yeah!!!

If you notice in the early pics of the "stock" case, it has two slits on the outlet edges, and the new one has no slits? Those are to reduce noise! So this new case should literally screeeeeam like a red headed step child... lol ;)

Hahahahahahahahahahaha !!!!!!!!!!

dude, u gotta post up some vids when u get the new stuff installed

I just read this thread from beginning to end and I must say you are a God!!!

Your X is beautiful and sounds mean as hell. You have my favorite Street X on the site.

I applaud your work and am extremely envious! :)

Ducey
ZAPV 13

I just read this thread from beginning to end and I must say you are a God!!!

Your X is beautiful and sounds mean as hell. You have my favorite Street X on the site.

I applaud your work and am extremely envious! :)

Ducey
ZAPV 13

Thank you sir!

:thumbsup:

Got my intake back a few days ago. Finally had some time to get some work done on the X. Here are some better shots of the final work. This is after I just got the flange cut flat and squared with the outlet.

flange1.jpg

flange2.jpg

flange3.jpg

flange4.jpg

flange5.jpg

The neck had to be cut once more to "square" the inlet and outlet on the intake. That's what that new beed is from across the back. Inside is seamless.

flange7.jpg

flange8.jpg

flange8.jpg

I have gone as far as I can go on finishing my bay for now. Tomorrow I will order a vacuum gauge to measure the intake to see if there are any restrictions on the intake side over the RPM range. I'll tap that about 1'' away from the intake flange before the case.

Looks like they did a great job making the new throat. I was thinking the outer edges would had been molded further down into the bend. Looks like that opening may be a bottleneck, so to speak, since it comes together quickly. I really have no idea, just a thought that popped into my head while looking at it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like they did a great job making the new throat. I was thinking the outer edges would had been molded further down into the bend. Looks like that opening may be a bottleneck, so to speak, since it comes together quickly. I really have no idea, just a thought that popped into my head while looking at it.

It will be fine as the air is passing "out" that throat. If it were going the opposite direction yes it would be a pretty nasty restriction.

Back