• Register Today It's free!

Working on the AC

Evil Eye

Reaction score
City, State
Surprise, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer XLT 4x4
So I decided to work on the AC for the Explorer today. I knew it had a slight leak, but recently recharged it and a week later, no charge... After finally purchasing all my stuff (see list below), I set out to work on it. I verified that there was 0 pressure in the system and there wasn't. In fact, I had a slight amount of vacuum, believe it or not. Anyway, I spent about 2 hours and after pulling out the intake, pulling out the battery and disconnecting the supply coolant hose, I still only had 1 line disconnected. The A/C disconnect kit that I bought from Harbor Freight (yeah, I know...) has two scissor shaped couplers and are murder on your hands. Yes, it was the cheap set, but in my defense, they didn't have any of the others... I will have to wait and see if I can get the other set. Those things are a booger!

1. Vacuum pump
2. Gauges
3. O-ring kit
4. Nylog sealant
5. A/C coupler disconnects
6. Orifice tube

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But what have you done to find and fix the leak?

There was some oil residue on one of the fittings (the one I was able to disconnect) and I'm replacing the o-rings. They are not very pliable and look a bit deformed, so I'm sure with that and replacing the spring retainer, it should be good to go. What would you suggest?

I suggest you get really good at this and then we'll tackle my A/C. I know for a fact my compressor kicks on so I think I just have a leak as well.

Can't you put a dye of some sort in the freon that will show you where it is leaking?

Danny,
I've gotten pretty goot at the Explorer and f-150 a/c.. If you need a hand, let me know..

I even have access to a detector (detects leaking r-134) and a evacuator pump.

Yes, you can put dye in the system to help find the leak but normally you just look for oil residue at a fitting...

~Mark

I suggest you get really good at this and then we'll tackle my A/C. I know for a fact my compressor kicks on so I think I just have a leak as well.

Can't you put a dye of some sort in the freon that will show you where it is leaking?
Yeah, you think you have problems with your fuel lines... :p:

I do have the dye and will use it when I put it all back together to ensure I don't have any leaks... :D Hell, worst case, Dan, it gives us an excuse to hang out and drink beer! :thumbsup:

What are you doing this weekend? The wife is going to a couple of our friend's kid's birthday parties on Saturday and a baby shower on Sunday. I'm good all weekend!!! :D

Back