Worn Bearing noise! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Worn Bearing noise!

belldarr

Reaction score
City, State
Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, United Kingdom.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Hi Fellow Explorer Owners, my 1999 XLT has a distinct worn bearing noise, it has had it since I bought it a year ago but in that time I have replaced both front hubs (less than 500 miles ago) and replaced the front diff oil - I was told the oil was fine in the diff but I wanted it replaced anyway - the car has covered 57,000 miles. Do they all sound like this I wonder and it's nothing to worry about or have my new hubs got crap bearings? They were bought from JeepChryslerParts in Wembley. Or should I do the rears - even though I would swear the noise is from the front?

The noise I am hearing is a kind of regular very low "throbbing" sound,that speeds up as the car does, most noticable around 40mph. The car is not used daily but just now and again.

Any info much appreciated...

Darren

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hard to say what the noise is, but I would say the new hubs are prob ok- jeepchrysler dont sell poor stuff.
Noises are hard to trace, so is this noise thee at all revs, is it only thee from start up to around 2500? PLease tel me as some noises at certain speeds can be put down to a few suspects. we will try as much as poss to help you mate

Thanks BIGHVM, it's there at all speeds (and revs) over 15mph - and defo gets quicker as the car speeds up, I am thinking that the garage that fitted the front hubs could maybe have over tightened them maybe? It's going back in this week but I doubt they will find fault in their own work but I have not had a problem with the garage in the 5 years I have been using them and I will be taking the car on a 300 mile round trip next weekend to pick up a friends boat so the car will be towing around 2000 kgs so I want to find out what this noise is and fix it - plus I hate a noisy bearing lol.

Darren

Get them to test drive it then mate, do you know another ex owner near you? get them to hear the noise.

Just a thought but you could try swapping the whells front to back and see if the noise follows. Reason i suggest this is worn or damaged tyres can make a wob wob sound.

Also have a look at your cv boots as the cv joints can also make noises when worn or dry, though more noticable on turns.

Have you tried turning one way and then the other to induce this noise more or is it in straight line only. Usually the bearings will make more noise when loaded ie the left one on a right turn.

It is ever so slightly more noticable on roundabouts - or turning right with a bit of speed, but had new tyres fitted around 8 months ago and it has not really made a difference but I have another set of wheels and tyres (as you do!) so may try swapping the fronts tomorrow if the weather is dry.

I did have a Northface Explorer about 3 years ago and this had a similiar problem that turned out to be a knackered diff, but it was way more noticable.

I had been putting it down to the fact that I drive a nice quiet saloon car day to day and the Explorer is that little bit less refined (dare I say it) so I was being a bit picky but I can defo hear that "wob wob" sound (well described janolsson).

Darren

Well the Explorer is back from the garage and they can't find any worn bearings/diff - they suspect it is the tyres as it can dissapear when on a completely flat smooth surface so it looks like I will have to live with it - glad I got it looked at though :)

Cheers for all the tips and help gents.

Darren

I'm gonna take a flyer at this one - I had what I called "Explorer Groan" which was something you feel as much as you hear (if not more). It did it on slow right turns in a big way, left turns much less so and also when changing direction (f - r) while parking.

I never actually found out what it was, in spite of having it on two Explorers.

Now, the point of this ramble - last week I changed the oil and filter, and while it was up in the air, swapped the front wheels to the back and vice versa.

It's 95% gone! And I have no idea why! But it really, seriously has reduced massively.

More research required but hey, it seems to add substance to the tyre theories.

you could try balancing beads

I had a similar problem with my 05 plate Volvo S40. With it being under warranty at the time, I complained to the dealer time and time about a knackered bearing - the noise from the OSR bearing was serious - and they eventually changed both the front bearings to no avail. Then I noticed one tyre was a paricularly cheap brand, so I decided to change the wheels around and, lo and behold, the bearing noise moved with the cheap tyre! It really did make a horrendous noise that got worse as it wore down. I changed the tyre and, the noise vanished. I got two new front bearings out of it though!! All it takes is a tyre design that generates frequencies which resonate with the particular car's suspension, and this will not only be necessarily the result of cheap tyres. GRoB

I've got the same noise on mine, the garage put the noise down to the tyres BFG's AT the ones with a tread pattern that looks like it would clime a gable end. :salute:

I've got the same noise on mine, the garage put the noise down to the tyres BFG's AT the ones with a tread pattern that looks like it would clime a gable end. :salute:

You naughty boy fitting aggressive looking BFGs! tut tut.tisk

Back