Worn paint areas | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Worn paint areas

I've got an older Bronco II with worn paint areas, but I don't want to take it to one of those cheap paint shops (I'm a hobbyist, and a glutton for punishment ;) )

How do I repaint these areas to get it better looking (not "pristine", for you bodywork fanatics)? Could someone give me info on what sandpaper, wet/dry (advantages? disadvantages?), etc.? I just want a quickie touch-up so it looks better from more than say, 10-20 feet...

Left rear quarter panel:

LTREARQTR.jpg

Right rear quarter panel: (lines are gouges in the paint, caused by a bicycle handlebar)

RTREARQTR.jpg

thx!

buy a little compressor and a spray gun, tape up everything you want to keep original, sand all that old blue paint off and spray it flat black!! Careful to keep it off that white itll look bad ass if you do a good job,

buy a little compressor and a spray gun, tape up everything you want to keep original, sand all that old blue paint off and spray it flat black!! Careful to keep it off that white itll look bad ass if you do a good job,

When you say "sand it all off" what do I use? 500 grit, 1000 grit? Light sanding or down to primer?

Flat black? Will that no show dings as much as glossy?

...And I'll need a lift kit and bigger tires to reeeeeaaallly look bad ass....:shifty_ey

Back