worry about new 2020 explorer limited (transmission) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

worry about new 2020 explorer limited (transmission)

yasser1986

Reaction score
City, State
taif - saudi arabia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020, explorer limited
hi people, my name is YASSER
i am from middle-east, saudi arabia

i am planning to buy explorer 2020 limited, but after a heavy search on internet about this model, i found so many people from USA and SAUDI ARABIA ( which is my country) complain about a huge transmission and Power train issues.

i search into this forum and NHTSA.com and i was shocked about so many people having serious transmission problems.

i don't know if FORD Co. already know about this wide spread problem but i am afraid that i might get this issue if i bought this car. please, i need a correct answer about this issue. is it still going on? will ford do something about?

thank you

(sorry for my weak English)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi people, my name is YASSER
i am from middle-east, saudi arabia

i am planning to buy explorer 2020 limited, but after a heavy search on internet about this model, i found so many people from USA and SAUDI ARABIA ( which is my country) complain about a huge transmission and Power train issues.

i search into this forum and NHTSA.com and i was shocked about so many people having serious transmission problems.

i don't know if FORD Co. already know about this wide spread problem but i am afraid that i might get this issue if i bought this car. please, i need a correct answer about this issue. is it still going on? will ford do something about?

thank you

(sorry for my weak English)

Yasser ... I have a 2020 Ford Explorer Limited I have had absolutely no problems with the transmission it shifts smoothly. as for the rest of the vehicle I have had absolutely no problems at all. And your English is very good. What color are you looking at? I have the rapid red.

Welcome to the Forum Yasser. :wave:
I'm not sure if the Aviator shares the same transmission but I have not had any issues with it.

Peter

Ricky & Peter, i hope you will enjoy your cars for long time without any problem.

I really love (blue magnetic) color it is amazing specially When it chime in with chrome edges and front grille.

after more research about transmission problem I found that the main cause is the coolant system of transmission, it fails to cool down the transmission which cause transmission failure.

anyway, I made up my mind that explorer 2020 is the best SUV and I'm going to buy it. I'm just waiting for the curfew to end because of the coronavirus. All the dealers here are closed until further notice.

good luck everyone ✌😌

I have about 5,000 miles on my Platinum, no transmission issues, other than the normal missing parts (rear air deflector & towing eye, now on the vehicle), no other problems.

TBill

I have about 5,000 miles on my Platinum, no transmission issues, other than the normal missing parts (rear air deflector & towing eye, now on the vehicle), no other problems.

TBill
i wish you great happines, that is good news

Yasser ... I have a 2020 Ford Explorer Limited I have had absolutely no problems with the transmission it shifts smoothly. as for the rest of the vehicle I have had absolutely no problems at all. And your English is very good. What color are you looking at? I have the rapid red.
can you tell me the build date of your car?

That trans was developed by joint effort with Ford and GM and hundreds of thousands of units have been put into service. Issues have been inconsequential relative to failure rate.
From what I have researched anyway.

Everyone, I have 2 Ford's - 2004 Explorer Limited and 2012 Fusion.

I believe Ford is causing their own problems -- Their manual as of 2010 still claimed that the Tranny fluid does not need to be changed.

Both of my vehicles have had problems. The Fusion was shifting hard at less than 50k. Changed the fluid and it got much better but still had a hard shift. Added Seafoam Tranny additive and it has cleared up. Oh, also did the ecm reset (see MakoFordTech's post on this). It is running like new.

The Explorer had it's 5R55S rebuilt at 75k. I bought it at 89k. It was starting to hard shift, slow to engage OD and reverse hard shift. I changed the fluid and it got better. Added the Seafoam to it and still better. Still had the OD shift issue and once in a while the reverse. Oh and an intermittent slow to engage when cold.

Our Daughter had a 2010 Fusion that they sold for well below market because of tranny problems. After they sold, ours started acting up and I found more data and solved our problem. The point is Ford's quality has tanked. Some of the issues are their "Better ideas".

The Fusion has no fuel cap. Hence the road crud has ruined the tank seal. I have cleaned and cleaned but still have the leak. All for a $2 gas cap.

Used to be a big Ford fan. Had a 98 Explorer XLT that I put 200k on. Only had to replace the alternator, water pump and usual maintenance items.

Long winded but needed to vent -- sorry...

Moral of the story --

Change your tranny fluid -- especially in hot environments. Saudi would be worse than our Arizona weather.

If you do the pan drain and refill - every 15k or so

If you have it serviced and they replace all of it I think Honda's recommended 30 k is adequate.

On the 5th and 6th gen Explorers, the Manual says to change the transmission fluid at 150k miles. As for the capless fuel system. Ford does offer a locking gas cap for the 2011 - 2019 Explorers
BTW, Ford also had that cap available for the 2010 Fusion.

Peter.

My Platinum build date is Aug 9, 2019 and the transmission sucks. If I could afford to trade out of the car I would. My comments can be found elsewhere in the Forum.

Everyone, I have 2 Ford's - 2004 Explorer Limited and 2012 Fusion.

I believe Ford is causing their own problems -- Their manual as of 2010 still claimed that the Tranny fluid does not need to be changed.

Both of my vehicles have had problems. The Fusion was shifting hard at less than 50k. Changed the fluid and it got much better but still had a hard shift. Added Seafoam Tranny additive and it has cleared up. Oh, also did the ecm reset (see MakoFordTech's post on this). It is running like new.

The Explorer had it's 5R55S rebuilt at 75k. I bought it at 89k. It was starting to hard shift, slow to engage OD and reverse hard shift. I changed the fluid and it got better. Added the Seafoam to it and still better. Still had the OD shift issue and once in a while the reverse. Oh and an intermittent slow to engage when cold.

Our Daughter had a 2010 Fusion that they sold for well below market because of tranny problems. After they sold, ours started acting up and I found more data and solved our problem. The point is Ford's quality has tanked. Some of the issues are their "Better ideas".

The Fusion has no fuel cap. Hence the road crud has ruined the tank seal. I have cleaned and cleaned but still have the leak. All for a $2 gas cap.

Used to be a big Ford fan. Had a 98 Explorer XLT that I put 200k on. Only had to replace the alternator, water pump and usual maintenance items.

Long winded but needed to vent -- sorry...
Well I'm also a huge fan of ford I have 2010 edge that i put 175k miles on and still awesome as new one. And according to the dealer here oil fluid transmission fluid should be changed every 25k Because of the hot hot weather here in Saudi Arabia.

But my concern is that many people have 2020 complain about transmission issues after 5k or less.

It's really complicated and I don't know what should I decide I really like ford specially explorer.

Moral of the story --

Change your tranny fluid -- especially in hot environments. Saudi would be worse than our Arizona weather.

If you do the pan drain and refill - every 15k or so

If you have it serviced and they replace all of it I think Honda's recommended 30 k is adequate.
All the dealers here in Saudi Arabia says that engine oil should be changed at 6K
Transmission fluid should be changed at 25K
And if we didn't follow what they say they will revoke the warranty.
After browsing this forum and asking my friends in USA they said it's a waste of money but what should I do I have to follow what the dealer say.

On the 5th and 6th gen Explorers, the Manual says to change the transmission fluid at 150k miles. As for the capless fuel system. Ford does offer a locking gas cap for the 2011 - 2019 Explorers
BTW, Ford also had that cap available for the 2010 Fusion.

Peter.
I think that is too much milage, i would never exceed 25k or loosing the dealer warranty

My Platinum build date is Aug 9, 2019 and the transmission sucks. If I could afford to trade out of the car I would. My comments can be found elsewhere in the Forum.
Please, define and explain how it sucks. It would be helpful. if you don't mind

I think that is too much milage, i would never exceed 25k or loosing the dealer warranty
Changing at 150k won't void the warranty since that is Ford's own recommendation. It may differ somewhat where you are.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yasser, anytime you buy a vehicle you take a chance. All manufacturers have their issues even MB. Follow the dealers recommendations and you will most likely be ok.
The new thin tranny fluids break down and leaves deposits. Hot weather causes this much quicker than cool weather.

I have been using "Seafoam Transmission tune" for a combined 15k miles in both vehicles. After your warranty expires, I would recommend using 1/2 can with each service, if you can get it. It has only helped my older vehicles and not caused any issues. If you had older cars, it could take out the transmission because of the build up of sludge that it loosens and get it flowing. In theory it should just return to the pan and be caught in the filter but bad things happen in life sometimes...

Back