Worst Wiper Blades Ever

RomeovilleIL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 LTD, 00 XLT
So I needed to get a new set of wiper blades. Stopped at the local auto parts store last week and the nice folks convinced me that I should get some "premium" winter wiper blades. Paid $45 for a set of Bosch Icon beam style blades. TOTAL CRAP!!! The blades collect snow and ice very quickly on the ends and then the entire blade is lifted off the glass, making it impossible to clear any of the windshield. Darn near blind driving with these today. Had to stop every few miles to clear off the gunk and right back to off the glass within a couple minutes. Worst I have ever experienced. Returning them asap. If you drive in snow, do not get these.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I needed to get a new set of wiper blades. Stopped at the local auto parts store last week and the nice folks convinced me that I should get some "premium" winter wiper blades. Paid $45 for a set of Bosch Icon beam style blades. TOTAL CRAP!!! The blades collect snow and ice very quickly on the ends and then the entire blade is lifted off the glass, making it impossible to clear any of the windshield. Darn near blind driving with these today. Had to stop every few miles to clear off the gunk and right back to off the glass within a couple minutes. Worst I have ever experienced. Returning them asap. If you drive in snow, do not get these.

I've have these in Upstate NY and never a problem. Best wipers I have ever had...

I had them on both my X and my Nissan, never had an issue other then clear windshields.

i don't have to deal with much in the way of snow, but i have Bosch Icon wiper blades on all 3 my trucks. best blades i've ever purchased. one set is nearly 3 years old and they still work like new. these blades aren't cheap, but worth every penny and not expensive in the long run. if you have to deal with snow and ice, buy "winter blades".

If it was snowing there like it was in Des Moines this morning, the brand of wipers might not have made any difference. I have no experience with Bosch wipers. The truck I drive for work was in for service this weekend and they installed "winter" style blades. They worked great around town in heavy snowfall this morning.

I drove 65 miles or so in a moderate snowstorm Sat in my Sport Trac. The key to keeping my windshield clear was to drive at around 45 mph. Under 40 the snow hit the windshield, and I'd get ice/snow buildup under the wiper. At 45 the airflow kept the snow from hitting the windshield. Of course this doesn't work in town.

I agree with those who have had great success with the Bosch Icon blades; I've been using them for years and won't buy anything else.

Swapped out for a pair of the Bosch Microedge. Premium regular style blades, not winter type. Snow was still coming down plenty fast (about 3 inches in hour and half) this evening. Stayed on glass and worked like they should. Problem solved.

* Got about a foot of new snow today. Pulled two cars out of ditches while running out to the store and back.

Most of the problem on the x are ****ty arms/springs that don't put enough force on the glass.

Any of you guys use Rain-X? I swear by the stuff and have used it for decades.
Thoroughly clean glass and two applications. Wouldn't know about snow though. LOL

I use OEM 2000 F150 wipers with Trico refills during non-winter, and winter blades during winter...

Thoroughly clean glass and two applications. Wouldn't know about snow though. LOL

+1 I also have the rain x blades, about $18 each , the set on my sport just now need replacing after around six years of east coast weather

Bosch blades do suck...that is, on the contours of the 2nd gen windshield. Especially when the springs of the factory wiper arms are weakening. I use a heavy standard style blade with the winter wrap. They will still skip a bit, but once warm by the defroster and all is well. I will be replacing the whole arm soon.

Ive never had issues with Bosch blades. I do however think Rain X blades are absolute crap. I think I have either Bosch or Michelins on my X now and they've done me very well during all the snow we've gotten in the northeast the past month

i assume you're referring to the Rain-X liquid you apply to the windshield? i tried it years ago and found it contaminated the rubber of my wiper blades and only seemed to work for a short period time under NY winter road conditions. i had better results using it on my '37 Ford street rod in GA rain, but i'm still not that impressed with it. Rain-X anti-fog on the inside of my '54 F100 (no defroster) works well though. i've never used their wiper blades. i used to sell them to customers and some complained that they didn't work that well for the price. i'm sticking with the Bosch Icons.

i assume you're referring to the Rain-X liquid you apply to the windshield? i tried it years ago and found it contaminated the rubber of my wiper blades and only seemed to work for a short period time under NY winter road conditions. i had better results using it on my '37 Ford street rod in GA rain, but i'm still not that impressed with it. Rain-X anti-fog on the inside of my '54 F100 (no defroster) works well though. i've never used their wiper blades. i used to sell them to customers and some complained that they didn't work that well for the price. i'm sticking with the Bosch Icons.

I've used the liquid here in NY and experienced the same during the winter; it also left some residue on my glass after it stopped working. I've picked up 4 sets of Rain X blades over the past 6years and have not been happy at all with them each time (3 different vehicles). I've bought cheap crappy $8/blade wiper blades that have performed on par with the Rain X blades. I've had great success with Bosch and Michelin and will continue to use them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rain-X 2-in-1 Glass Cleaner (Aerosol). Used the original glass treatment and find the aerosol easier to apply and superior. Never cared for the additive concentrate either. Strange thing is the 2-in-1 Aerosol is not shown on the Rain-X web site, only the spray. BTW, O'Reilly's is NOT my store of choice, only for this and Stoner's Trim Shine because they stock them.

I treat all windows twice after every wash. One 18 ounce can lasted me two years.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ck=Search_N0464_1424359_-1&pt=N0464&ppt=C0209

http://www.rainx.com/products/glass-and-cleaners/
http://www.rainx.com/products/windshield-washer-fluid/

Back