Would 31x50x10 R15 tires damage my differentials, what are the advantages??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would 31x50x10 R15 tires damage my differentials, what are the advantages???

93explorereb

Reaction score
City, State
Northeast
Year, Model & Trim Level
93/97 4.0 EB/5.0 XLT 4AWD
Greetings:

I am considering installing some BF Goodrich 31x50x10 R15s' on my 1993 explorer EB. However, I was concerned that the larger tires may damage my differentials? I very much like the fact of having a wider tire, in terms of handling and looks. Additionally, the the max-tire forum post stated that I could use the aformentioned size without a lift kit? Also, would my gas usage increase a whole lot, or just somewhat? Thanks in advance!!!!:)

Best Regards

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It won t hurt your differentials. Transmission my be stressed. What axle ratio do you have? Gas mileage will most likely dedrease, due to increased rolling resistance, and engine not operation in the optimum power band.

Advantages might be slitghly more ground clearence, better look for the vehicle with bigger tires.

I recently installed some 31x10.5's on my explorer, and other than a slight drop in fuel mileage I haven't noticed any issues. If you're really worried about trans stresses adding a trans cooler may help some, and isn't a bad idea anyway. Also, 3.73 or higher gearing is nice with the 31x10.5's but not 100% necessary.

Thanks guys:salute:! I just picked up some big 30x9.50/15 Timber/Dayton tires. They are slightly bigger than my P235/75/15 Michelins. I couldn't resist the junkyard price for a set of 4 30x9.50 15's, at $65.00!!!! And the tires are in great shape too, with plently of tread to go!!! I also have a transmission oil cooler too. I will be flushing the tranny today and adding some Lube Guard (Red bottle), this stuff is excellent:thumbsup:. These tires are just a tad bit smaller than the 31x10.5's. Also, I plan to change the diff fluid over to synthetic fluid Mobil 1 75w 90, or better Amsoil 75w-90. How do the big 31's feel? Do they bog/lug the engine/transmission down. Or does it give the vehicle a overly bouncy feel over every bump in the road. Gas wise, is it a substantial trade off, or a more moderate one? Thanks again guys!!!!!
I recently installed some 31x10.5's on my explorer, and other than a slight drop in fuel mileage I haven't noticed any issues. If you're really worried about trans stresses adding a trans cooler may help some, and isn't a bad idea anyway. Also, 3.73 or higher gearing is nice with the 31x10.5's but not 100% necessary.

I'm not noticing a huge gas mileage difference with mine, but I've got goodyear wrangler rt/s, so its not a very aggressive tread pattern either. as far as bogging it down, not so much, I've got a five speed and it will still chirp one rear tire going into second on dry pavement. Seems to be a little more roll in corners than the stock size, but also seems to ride better over bumps, so I really can't complain there... the 31s look way better than the stock 235's though, and there is a bit more ground clearance if that matters to you at all.

Generally, if I were to get some 31x10.50 15s' I should be ok? How much stress would be induced on the transmission? I use synthetic fluids, and commute via hwy at least 99% of the time (110 miles per day). Otherwise the 30s' look good, but dam those 31s' could really top it off? Thanks guys:thumbsup:!

i got 31s on my 93 with 219k miles on motor and tranny, gives better look and driveablity in the snow, i only run synthetic motor oil (will be running syn diff fluids when i do the clear diff cover in rear) Sorry got side tracked, only problem with mine is a little MPG loss, nothing to be concerned, about, no tranny stress.. i have 3.73ls diffs, hope my two cents helped.

Back