Would a 1995 Ford Aerostar A4LD work in a 1992 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would a 1995 Ford Aerostar A4LD work in a 1992 Explorer?

Reaction score
City, State
Hanover Park IL (Near Chicago)
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 EB 4x4 00 XLS 4x4
i got a 92 explorer eb and trans is off a 95 aerostar the differnce is the oil pan would it work the same:exporange

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the aerostars dash has two drive D and OD

You need to determine for sure if the '95 transmission is an A4LD or a 4R55E (aka A4LDE). As noted, we're under the impression that '94 was the last year for the A4LD, being replaced by the A4LDE in '95. Beyond the oil pan, the main difference is the "E" stands for Electronically controlled transmission. The '92 computer can only control the 3-4 shift and TCC lockup. If the '95 transmission needs a computer to control the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts as well, then you have other issues to work out. As I understand it, the A4LDE will bolt in place of the A4LD just fine. without the proper computer to control it, it won't function.

i could be a 94

Need to find out for sure. Also need to know which engine it came behind, as I'm not sure if there were other engine options for the aerostar. If the aerostar had anything but a 4.0, it's quite possible it won't bolt up. Did the aerostars have a 4wd/awd option or was it 2wd? Is your Explorer 2wd or 4wd? If you are putting a 2wd transmission into a 4wd, then you'll have to change the tailshaft and maybe the output shaft. I don't know how involved that is, but Glacier's rebuild diary might give an indication of what has to be done to convert a 2wd A4LD to a 4wd A4LD.

As far as I know aerostars are FWD or AWD. please correct me if Im wrong though.

hi, I'm relatively new, but overly curious..(and up to what is now page 86 in this category, but the pages change daily...lol)

the A4LD question about aerostar 4.0 trannys got me to researching...

my interchange "bible" is the Hollander Manuals....mine says (2WD) the 90-91 tranny (their #4298) is the same and the 92-95 (their #4304) is the same, an A4LD ?? they show the 96 model only (their #2876) to be an A4LD-E.

starting in 97, the aerostar has a 5R55E (their #3055)

the explorer and ranger 4.0, 2WD shows A4LD (their # 2434) to all be the same. what is the difference between the aerostar tranny and the others ?

,,,,,JJFlash, dazed and confused.

they come in 4X4 too, my mom is geting an Eddie Aerostar 4X4 either sometime fri.sat. or next week. I was under the impression that the A4LD in the aerostar could be interchanged with the an explorer or ranger

Do they have the Hollander manual on CD? The A4LD is different on the 3.0L models than on the 4.0L models. The 4X4 models are also different as previously stated. Some things which are different are the bell housings, torque converters, valve body ball configurations (older ones until 87 only had a single TCC solenoid) extension housing, rear shaft, snap ring for the rear shaft, center support has different types of seals, case has a different overfill vent, bolt hole for the center support in the case is different, torrington bearings replacing many thrust washers, etc. These things were updated so many times that rebuilders get confused.

I have Hollander Exchange Manuals to cover from early 70's to '03. bought them on FleaBay over a period of time. CD versions with updates available are available, but I've only seen them new and $pricey$.

I prefer the older exchange manuals; very few mistakes in them....I do occasionally find discrepencies (sp) in the new versions.

I still don't get why they have so many different numbers for essentially the same parts. why have different numbers for aerostar, explorer, ranger and mazda ? just tell us what to swap and let it go...lol.

OT: lady I know needed a tranny for a '99, 3.0 taurus. books and Ford say only the '99 will work ??? internals are same on others, why can't someone just change the sensors and make it work on different models.

her sometimes mechanic/boyfriend put a '97 tranny in it and it worked for about a week, started shifting funny and giving codes about the speed sensor. tried to put the sensor from the '99 into the tranny and it wouldn't fit ! one was about .750 " in diameter and the other was about 1.25" in diameter. solution was send tranny back to junk yard and get correct one from somewhere else.

Just doesn't make sense to have a different tranny every year...Ford must be experimenting on us unsuspecting "drones".

Back