Would like to buy 2006 Explorer, but .... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would like to buy 2006 Explorer, but ....

Planoexplorer

Reaction score
I can't find the features I want. I am here in the DFW area and there are tons of Explorers.
I am looking for a new or used (preferred) 2006 V6 XLT 4x4. Maybe also Eddie Bauer or Limited but I do not need/want leather or the other fancy stuff. But I want the side curtain airbags.
Ford is offering the side curtain airbags with this canopy package. But I cannot find one. It is really frustrating.
I have searched Autotrader, Cars.com, .... but no chance. I don't want to check out every car in person. I have seen that the 2007 Eddie Bauer have them as a standard feature but they are still to expensive.
About 6 months ago we bought a van. I had the same trouble. No Windstar/Monterey with side airbags to be found. The dealers did not want to help either. Kind the way: "We don' have and we will not search for it".
So we bought a Toyota.
Anybody knows if there is another way to search for an Explorer with side curtain airbags? Maybe through the Ford Website?

And another question on the hitch. I would need a class III hitch. But most Explorers come with a class II hitch. Is there an easy way to swap them?
I checked out hitch web sites like etrailer and the aftermarket class III hitches are mounted under the OEM hitch. Sounds kind of stupid for me.....

Any help is appreciated.

Stefan

I am looking for a new or used (preferred) 2006 V6 XLT 4x4. Maybe also Eddie Bauer or Limited but I do not need/want leather or the other fancy stuff. But I want the side curtain airbags.

(I just checked the options here
http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/explorer/features/ )

You can't get Eddie Bauer or Limited without leather, but they have the canopy package. The canopy package is an option on XLT but I suspect most people looking for an XLT don't want to pay for the canopy so they're not generally on a lot.

What 'other fancy stuff' don't you need/want?

You want all the safety, none of the luxury, and minimum price. Have you spoken to the sales manager at your Ford dealer? Maybe they can try harder than just a salesperson.

I have seen that the 2007 Eddie Bauer have them as a standard feature but they are still to expensive.

Define 'too expensive'?

And another question on the hitch. I would need a class III hitch. But most Explorers come with a class II hitch. Is there an easy way to swap them?

I would expect the dealer could put the factory class III/IV one on it like I have.

Oh and that Ford web site page lets you search dealer inventory, request an internet quote, etc., so you could tell them exactly what you want.

XLT V6, canopy, no leather, class III/IV hitch, etc.

I insisted on navigation for mine which limited my choices too, but I'm very satisfied.

Have a local dealer do an extended search. Try the Houston area. I think they can search by specific options. My 06 has the Trailer towing package, which included the Class III hitch. For awhile most of them coming in the Houston area had the Class IIIs. You can also type in different zip codes on the Ford website to search an area, but you'll have to click each one to check for the airbags. Try 77539 (my zip) or 77058 and work your way North, or start from just South of you and work further South.

Back