• Register Today It's free!

Would Shift solenoids cause this?

paul69camaro

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer
Hello, I was hoping maybe someone could point me in the right direction. I have a 1996 explorer limited that is having transmission issues (sounds like they all do uh) The truck will not shift unless you let of the gas, and it has no reverse and it will drive in neutral. The overdrive light flashes and when I plug the scantool into the computer it said that shift solenoid B and C are stuck open. The question I have is would the solenoids also cause the reverse and neutral issue? and if not what might cause it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They could possibly cause the issue since your transmission is completely computer controlled via solenoids. You definitely have to replace the solenoids, but you should check for other damage. When you drain the pan, look for chunks of metal or other fibers. This will tell you if the planetaries or clutches are blown.

Thanks for the reply, I think I'm going to take your advice and pull the pan. I just hope that the solenoids are causing all of the problems.

You might look into replacing the valve body and solenoids as a package..... with new separator plate gaskets..... will cost you about $210 DIY (plus fluid and a filter)

Paul, how many miles on this transmission?

Glacier's suggestion of replacing the entire valve body is a good one, and cost effective. The two new shift solenoids would be over half the cost of the rebuilt VB, plus you should also replace the EPC solenoid, if it has a lot of miles on it......

I also have a 96 explorer xlt, and its also having shifting problems. It will shift into all gears though. My problem is going down the highway...it will shift rough into 2nd and 3rd...then 4th and OD it will go back and forth. Not knowing what gear to be in...whats the deal?

The transmission has 106k miles on it. The only thing that I'm hesitant on is spending the 210+ dollars and it not fixing the reverse and neutral problems. Because then I would still have to take it to some one to rebuild it. Do you think most shops would discount the rebuild price if I stuck a new VB and solenoids in it? Thanks again for everything guys.

Paul

fellegy, "hunting" is almost ALWAYS a VB issue. Sometimes electrical, but my bets are on the VB.

Thanks Glaceir: How much would that run me? VB that is?? Im not too mechanically inclined so if I took it to the shop what am i looking at?

If it were me, I'd buy a rebuilt VB (about $200) and gaskets (about $10) and take it to s shop to install (probaly another $200)

Can they just clean it out or do they need to replace it more than likely?

What is all part of the valve body? what does it consist of? Can you fill me in?
thanks

I have spent literally hundreds of hours posting threads on this transmission and the valve body. ALL your answers are there, but you have to invest a little time too. Do a search, I did a full trannie teardown entitled "My A4LD Rebuild Diary" and it is in the useful thread forum. I recently did a valve body rebuild diary.. it is linked in the main diary or go into the Under the Hood and Driveline" forum and in the first few pages you will find it.

Back