Would this be too hard to piece together? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would this be too hard to piece together?

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
Pic below. I'm able to get a BBK supercharger at a damn good price, problem is it only includes the head unit and plenum base. Looking at the installation manual (Hello) it looks like there are quite a few parts missing. I know BBK no longer makes these superchargers, have an e-mail out asking if they have replacement parts for it.

Attachments

• bbk.jpg
    bbk.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 247

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What else do you need? fual mangement, belt, hardware, possibly have the blower rebuilt first....

I think you can make it work, but then I have never bolted one up, just researched it.
the hardest part of SC any EFI engine is the manifold to blower adapter, linkage, pulley and belt routing.......

Was it previously on an explorer or did you just find the head unit?

It was on an X, the guy bought it at a swap meet. The instructions say all this is included when bought from a retailer:

1 - Supercharger Assembly
1 - Cable Bracket
1 - Coil Moutn Weldment
2 - Stock Plenum Gaskets
1 - Split Plenum Gasket
7 - 5/16” Studs
7 - 5/16” – 24 Hexnut
1 - TB Gaseket
2 - IAC Bolts M6 x 20
4 - TB Bolts M6 x 30 SS SHCS
1 - IAC Gasket
1 - Brass Tee
1 - Fuel Line (Male)
1 - Fuel Line (Female)
2 - Supercharged Emblems
1 - FMU Instructions
1 - Fuel Manifold Unit
1 - Ignition Module
2 - 1/4” – 20 x 1/2” Hexbolt
6 - FHSCS, M8 x 40mm
2 - Hexbolt, M6 x 10mm
1 - Plenum Base

It looks like a similar size to the Eaton Explorer kit. The inlet looks really nice, large and high flowing. Good luck,

Eaton has an Explorer kit? I know Thomas Knight has a kit using an Eaton unit, but many-a-person says he's a scumbag.

Think I'm going to snag this beast. Coil relocation shouldn't be a big deal, could probably fab something up easily. Since the throttle body gets relocated I'll have to find some way to attach the cables...

Questions:

1. Are FMU's universal (ie: 4.6/5.0 works on 4.0)?
2. Ignition module: Would a chip reprogram work in place of this?

Two PCM experts told me to install an FMU to start with, unless the engine was started on a dyno, for an immediate tune. The point is most problems will happen just after installation. That's when you need an air fuel ratio meter, an FMU, or a correct PCM already installed. Don't push the engine until you know the tune is right.

My comment about the Eaton unit, is that it is really small for a V8. The Eaton kit only adds about 75HP, for $3800, and there is very very little expansion possible.

With a correct PCM tuned for the combination, you shouldn't need the FMU, and can remove it. Regards,

Hm, would be nice to have a V8 :p

I see what you mean. I was going to use an FMU, but there's also the ignition module to adjust the timing.

Still wondering if a V8 FMU would work on the 4.0?

I think FMU's are aftermarket only units, add ons for this custom stuff. They alter the fuel pressure, based on boost levels. They are not anywhere near as good as a real tuning of the PCM. There are thousands of EECIV Mustangs which have FMU's. They are all off from ideal in air/fuel ratio. The actual needed fuel pressure varies differently than an FMU can produce.

Those older PCM's could not alter the A/F ratio as finely as can be done with these OBDII computers. Thus just an FMU will achieve similar results as used with EECIV PCM's. The mixture will be rich at some points, and lean at some points. The best that you can hope for is to not let the mixture get too lean, and hurt the engine. You want to get the engine tuned on a dyno by a professional PCM tuner as soon as possible. Good luck,

I really think someone's out to keep me from getting a supercharger, ever. I get f'd up the A once again:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=4566391733&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

Started it at $400 and it had 9 days left, I e-mail the guy asking how much he wants for it, and ask if there are any chips inside of it. I guess someone else did the same thing. I get home from work to find he added a Buy It Now of $750 and someone bought it.

That is a shame, but it would have been a big project to install it on a 4.0 OHV engine.
You should still consider changing your engine and transmission both. The A4LD isn't a very good transmission, especially for high performance use. The newer 5R55E's don't have a great reputation yet either, but they are ahead of the A4LD. The 302 has the 4R70W, which is a well tested performance transmission. Good luck,

Considering it's built for the 4.0 OHV I don't see the difficulty.....

I'd love a 5.0 swap, but lack the knowledge and don't want to spend the huge amount of money to get it done. My transmission was rebuilt a year ago with stronger parts.

Cool, I didn't know that that supercharger was made for the OHV. I would still say that the transmission is a big weak link in all 1st gen. Explorers. Have you perused all of the conversion threads describing others experiences with swaps? Do you have any friends with serious tools and automotive skills? Other than the large number of parts involved in a swap, it really comes down to time, money, and fortune in locating the right parts. Any good mechanics with good tools can do it.

You might check out a lot of the Ranger conversions that have been done. The RPS forum is an excellent source of swap information, that is the needed parts. Ranger Power Sports I believe? Good luck,

Back