• Register Today It's free!

would this kit work

bubbalewski

Reaction score
City, State
raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
hey i have a 98 ford explorer sport 2wd.. and while i was looking around for a 3 inch bl i found this at summit.. its the summit brand lift kit i suppose.. heres the link.... http://store.summitracing.com/partd...908331+4294924677+4294918515+115&autoview=sku

just let me know if that will work considering it is about 40 dollars cheaper than PA..
and if it includes all pieces as the PA kit and all neccessary pieces for the lift itself..

thanks yall

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes the PA 883 3'' bl will work for the 98-00 explorers. i think a couple different bolts will need to be purchased along with making some front bumber brackets because the ranger ones wont work. also the front two mounts will need to be drilled out to fit teh new longer bolts.
correct me if i am wrong?

you could get a body lift or you could get a 3 inch spindle and/or torsion twist and add a leaf or shackles in the rear

haha, hes actually asking if the summit brand bodylift will work instead of the pa, not asking if he should lift it.....

i would stick with the pa since its tried and true, better to do it right the first time then use something no one has ever tried and find out later you have to rig half the stuff to make it work.... to me, that extra $40 is worth it

1998 2wd rangers dont have torsion bars..my buddys in the same boat, and spindles aint cheap

^^yes they do...after 97 or 98 all rangers used the SLA front suspension configuation.

looking at that kit it appears to be a repackaged pa lift with the summit brand name on it. Any one else notice the "883" in the part number?

yes the PA 883 3'' bl will work for the 98-00 explorers. i think a couple different bolts will need to be purchased along with making some front bumber brackets because the ranger ones wont work. also the front two mounts will need to be drilled out to fit teh new longer bolts.
correct me if i am wrong?

Try all ten mounts that need to be drilled out
the front brackets work u have to make/modified the rears to work

im pretty sure just the two front mounts need to be drilled out.....and then there are the bumper brakets and the sterring extension.

Yes, the Summit kit will fit. I used it on mine and have had it for about a year now with no problems!! In fact, as stated before, it is just a relabeled PA kit. When you get it, look at the loctite that comes with it, it says PA on the bottle. I got it because of it being cheaper, and believe me, it is worth it. You dont need any other parts either, or at least I didnt. I have a 2000 sport thought. Your 98 might be different. Let me know if you want pics or anything else.

oh yeah, and the directions are OK, you only need to drill our the very front core mounts and the bed lift blocks make great radiator supports!!

my bad, i thought he had a ranger...and only 4wd 1998 rangers had torsion bar suspension

are you sure?.....i was almost positive 98 2wd rangers were t-bar.....if the 2wd arnt t-bars then what are they?

The Ranger Edge uses torsion bars and the non-Edge Rangers have a coil spring. Not sure why Ford did it like that....

splat said:
The Ranger Edge uses torsion bars and the non-Edge Rangers have a coil spring. Not sure why Ford did it like that....

Why are we talking about rangers when he has a explorer sport? Couldn't he use spindles in the front and SOA the back? Seems like the most bang for your buck on the 2wds.

-Rich

FROADER said:
Why are we talking about suspension lifts when he's asking about a body lift?

Even better, but not as good as why are we replying to a thread that the original poster has never replied to?

-Rich

FROADER said:
That's the way it is on this forum. :D

Yeah, I guess were just board and have nothing better to do. Oh well, I'm working my way to my 400th post.

-Rich

Back