Would this work or be worth it???

awdsixbolt

Reaction score
City, State
hampton va
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 sport
I have a buddy who is very big into jeeps and
he had put 2003 jeep rubicon danna 44 axles in his older jeep, that model came with danna 44 axles with 4.10 gears and the eaton e lockers.
i was wondering if those dana 44s would swap into my first gen explorer. of course i know all the welding and mocking involved but i was just wondering if it would be like putting in a 79 bonco d44 or complelty diff and something i shouldnt even be considering. only reason i ask if cause of the gears and the eaton e locker. and i can get them for pretty good price

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so long as it is a driver side drop which the jeep is it'll work, the radius arm brackets may not line up correctly however make sure you take measurements first. I'd still check into pricing for getting an older D44 and building it, it may still be cheaper. Id stay away from the D44 rear however, i don't think anyone on here has a d44 rear, a ford 9" inch would be a better, cheaper and stronger option. An explorer 8.8 is even a better choice than the D44 rear, most jeep guys put 8.8's in place of there 8.25, D35, or D44 rear. Some explorer rears even came stock with 4.10 gears, so if you could find one i think that would be a good option.

TJ Rubicons came with air lockers, not electric lockers. The electric did not start until the JK ('07). So, you also need the air pump.

Dana 44s and the 8.8 are comparable in strength, and it would be well worth it for the selectable locker if you can get them cheap.

thanks guys im just tossing around an idea that i havnt seen on here yet or havnt came across.
i know the 79 bronco d44 are better but i could get both the jeep ones for less then 500 bucks with everything so its just a thought right now.

If you can get Rubicon 44's for $500 bucks:
1) Your buddy doesn't know what Rubicon 44's go for...
2) if you have the equipment/skill to fabricate and install them that's the route I would go.

You'll almost surely have to regear a bronco 44, and lockers alone will be over the $500...

Back