Would U-Haul have a conniption if.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would U-Haul have a conniption if..

...I rented a U-Haul trailer with my mom's truck (Ford Expedition), and came home and transferred the U-Haul to my Explorer?

I'm asking because I will be planning to move around this time next year, and I'd like to know if I show up at my final destination and the U-Haul people see the trailer behind the Explorer, there wouldn't be an issue.

I'm not too crazy about U-Haul with the whole Explorer ban thing, but I know of no other company that rents trailers one-way, and IMO the Explorer ban is really a scam so that people like me have to rent both a truck and a car trailer to move one-way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know, it's just, I don't know what U-Haul's policy towards this is. Where I live, I could probably talk someone into renting it to me anyway, half the U-Haul places around here are redneck hole-in-the-wall joints. I did see a U-Haul behind an Explorer two weeks ago.

The issue is I don't know what the U-Haul place on the other end is going to be like. I can imagine being chewed out by the U-Haul Nazi when he gets a load of that one...

It is related to the tire fiasco. If not, and it was to solely make money on truck rental, they would ban all SUV's, not just the Ex. The only thing I don't know is what ramifications you would face if you had an accident with the trailer and it was damaged...

It is related to the tire fiasco. If not, and it was to solely make money on truck rental, they would ban all SUV's, not just the Ex. The only thing I don't know is what ramifications you would face if you had an accident with the trailer and it was damaged...

That's the only thing- there insurance won't cover you. So simple, don't wreck, no problems. They can't really say much when you are giving it back to them in an explorer. I mean, they still get their trailer back, so why should it matter?

There's no one at your final destination that cant loan you another truck for 30 min? Why risk it?

People talk about doing that once in a while. They won't cover a wreck and they might make a record of your name to never rent to you again. That's about all that should be possible I think. The whole U-haul/Explorer issue is stupid, I haven't had that conversation with anyone, but I would shove the subject down their throat. The tire pressures were inadequate in every tire failure wreck, the fault being the operator and/or the recommended pressures.

No matter how you tow, set the tire pressures very well, and not by door jamb tag specs. Good luck,

i rented a car carrier from u-haul for 3 days...picked it up with my friends chevy 1500...got it back to my place and immediately swapped it to the Explorer. he wasnt around when i had to drop it off...so i just took it back with the EX. dropped it off, then drove an parked a lil bit away, went into the office and finished returning it. they came out an looked at it, then said 'have a nice day', turned around and went back inside. haha, so i just left. so if ur sneaky...you can get away with it!

i would say just drop it off after the center is closed that way they never know, thats what i would do and i have worked for a independent uhaul center

True, often there is room to park the trailer somewhere before they come to direct you. I have returned a car towing U-haul trailer for a friend with my Mountaineer. They didn't see me park it, and asked what I was driving. I didn't care, but they did, I have a book loving town here, it's no small town.

it is only the ford explorer name if u have a navajo, mountineer, or aviator u can rent the trailer but if you have one that says explorer on it it's a no go

it is only the ford explorer name if u have a navajo, mountineer, or aviator u can rent the trailer but if you have one that says explorer on it it's a no go

Yeah, that's why I really feel it is a rip off. It's not U-Haul looking out for safety, it's U-Haul looking to make a buck when they realize they can squeeze more money out of people who own the most popular SUV on the road... :mad:

I'm probably not going to bother with it, anyway. I won't be moving until after I graduate, which won't be until the end of next year. I'll have plenty of time to deal with it. I'm most likely just going to abandon the furniture I have, as it only consists of one shoddy bedroom set from the 1960s and an incorrectly assembled bookshelf my dad bought from Wal-Mart 25 years ago. Even the mattress is shot. I'll probably spend more money than the furniture's worth trying to move it, and I could save that money and just hit up the IKEA catalog when I reach my final destination.

Return the trailer with the Explorer. Tell them the Expedition rolled from a Firestone tire blowout :D

There's nothing in the U-haul policy that says you can't return their trailers with an Explorer, they just won't rent you one if you show up in an SUV with Explorer emblems to pick up the trailer.

There's nothing in the U-haul policy that says you can't return their trailers with an Explorer, they just won't rent you one if you show up in an SUV with Explorer emblems to pick up the trailer.

That's a good way to answer them if they bring it up.

This is Prolly a bit to late but just in case someone wants to do this, When I moved from Detroit to Philly I did excatly that. Even better I went up to the Uhaul place in my 2004 Explorer they told me no. I went back to my In-laws home, got his Yukon went back to the same place rented the trailer hooked it up to my explorer and away I went. Droped it off and had the guy inspect the trailer while it was still connected to the Explorer. Didn't say a word.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back