Would you buy the new Bronco if it had a manual transmission? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

Would you buy the new Bronco if it had a manual transmission?

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
As most of you probably know Ford in 2020 is bringing the Ranger and Bronco back. The Bronco is supposed to be somewhat true to it's roots. Have a frame, solid rear axle, to be able to compete in the same class as Jeeps. Even though it's going to be more "ruggedly" oriented, whether they would bother to make it available with a manual will be a big if.

For the hay of it I was thinking about starting a Facebook page/petition for people who want to see the Bronco with a manual transmission. Hoping to get enough people to hopefully give Ford some encouragement in making manuals available in the Bronco.

So for those who would consider getting the new Bronco, who would want a manual in it?

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Maybe if it had a manual transfer case!

Anime

EF YEAH!!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 EX Sport Concept
There's almost zero chance either the Ranger or Bronco gets a manual transmission. By 2020, most vehicles will have Continuously Variable Transmissions or whatever else they want to call it. There will be more electric vehicles, more hybrids, and the amount of vehicles, even sports cars and the lowest priced car you can buy will still come equipped with an automatic transmission.

The Ranger and Bronco also aren't going to be aimed at a market that would want a manual anyway, the people buying them will be older and probably mindful that they want an automatic in case they do wind up keeping this vehicle into their later years instead of getting a luxury car.

That and plenty of people who would even be buying these to customize and take off road prefer automatics.

roscoe 0202

Reaction score
City, State
salt lake city utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer sport
wouldn't buy one without a manual tranny and transfer case.
roscoe

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
There's almost zero chance either the Ranger or Bronco gets a manual transmission. By 2020, most vehicles will have Continuously Variable Transmissions or whatever else they want to call it. There will be more electric vehicles, more hybrids, and the amount of vehicles, even sports cars and the lowest priced car you can buy will still come equipped with an automatic transmission.

The Ranger and Bronco also aren't going to be aimed at a market that would want a manual anyway, the people buying them will be older and probably mindful that they want an automatic in case they do wind up keeping this vehicle into their later years instead of getting a luxury car.

That and plenty of people who would even be buying these to customize and take off road prefer automatics.

You do realize that 2020 is less than three years away? Things are not going to change that much until then. Most vehicles are not going to have CVT transmissions. Especially anything larger than small vehicles. There are problems with CVTs that manufactures are still working out. In fact some vehicles in the past that they have put CVTs in they have going back to conventional transmissions.

Ford has confirmed that the Bronco will be aimed at the Jeep market. Which is about the only market that would want a manual transmission. While I agree it will not likely have a manual that is about the only market that would want a manual transmission.

But that was the purpose of this thread, not to talk about whether it's going to have a manual or not, but to see if there is support from it. If there isn't much support for it from this community then there's not going to be support for it from anywhere. If enough support was drummed up then Ford might consider putting a manual in it. That is the purpose of this thread.

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
But that was the purpose of this thread, not to talk about whether it's going to have a manual or not, but to see if there is support from it. If there isn't much support for it from this community then there's not going to be support for it from anywhere. If enough support was drummed up then Ford might consider putting a manual in it. That is the purpose of this thread.
It looks like there isn't unconditional support for anything with a Bronco nameplate on it, if that's what you're looking for. There would be support from the off-road community if they build it properly. Which I'm pretty sure they won't.

Anime

EF YEAH!!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 EX Sport Concept
You do realize that 2020 is less than three years away? Things are not going to change that much until then. Most vehicles are not going to have CVT transmissions. Especially anything larger than small vehicles. There are problems with CVTs that manufactures are still working out. In fact some vehicles in the past that they have put CVTs in they have going back to conventional transmissions.

Ford has confirmed that the Bronco will be aimed at the Jeep market. Which is about the only market that would want a manual transmission. While I agree it will not likely have a manual that is about the only market that would want a manual transmission.

There's going to be big changes in the auto industry between now and 2020. The Tesla Model 3 will have ramped up production by then and other electric vehicles will have hit the market and there will be more hybrids and possibly even a few with hydrogen fuel cells. They may not call them CVT's, but a lot of vehicles are getting automatics with more than 4-5 forward speeds that are at least sort-of CVT's, they certainly aren't conventional transmissions.

As someone with a 4WD Explorer that has a manual transmission, I don't really see it as something that is preferable for off-road driving, particularly difficult trails, rock crawling, mudding, anything. It can be tricky and a lot of work, and frankly exhausting. Really, the main reason the manual transmissions were preferable in Explorers were becasue the automatics were so weak and prone to issues, and rebuilding the auto was a professional job that was quite costly, compared to the manual which was rebuildable as a DIY project in the garage or shop, and quite inexpensively by comparison. A manual transmission does have plenty of other general benefits for on-road driving but the new Ranger, as a much larger truck than it's previous namesake, and the new Bronco, which will probably just be a new body on an existing platform, don't seem to be anything I'd want or expect a manual transmission in. It'd be like having a manual transmission in a Raptor. I've driven full size trucks and huge box trucks with manual transmissions and it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I think of a manual transmission as something you'd want in a small and light sports car, maybe a midsize SUV like the Explorer, but anything bigger and heavier just seems like you'd want the automatic, for the extra towing capacity as well.

I might support a manual in the new Bronco if it was compact enough, but it's likely to be built on a full-size platform and a similar size/width as the new Ranger, something more like a cross between the mid-size early Bronco and the older full-size Bronco. I think it's going to be heavy and a manual isn't going make it fun or enjoyable to drive.

There's also the practical consideration that adding transmission options, especially if a newer manual transmission has to be developed, increases cost compared to if they just offered say, one transmission with two or three engine options, or even just whatever engine/transmission options they offer in the 2020+ vehicles generally.

It may be that Ford already intends to offer a particular base model of the Ranger and Bronco with a manual transmission, manual transfer case, and a particular engine to go with them. If the next generation Ranger offers a manual transmission in other parts of the world, it will probably get one here. The Bronco is harder to say since it's such a specialty vehicle, and I think it's going to appeal more to older people that had Broncos but won't be considering a manual transmission like I stated previously. If Ford intends to aim the vehicle at the Jeep crowd/offroad enthusiasts, and maybe even make it in a sporty 2WD version, sure, it might get a manual as well.

Centaurus5.0

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96'
So far we have:

3 votes for yes
1 vote for no

Automatics also generate a lot of heat in off road conditions, heat that affects the operation, longevity and reliability of the transmission. Driving around on sand dunes or beaches, mud bogging, hill climbing, rock crawling, desert running will all be things someone with a bronco will do, and all those activities tax an automatic. Manuals are more reliable in that regard and you have more control over how you use the engines power. Manual transmission and transfer case. More control=more fun.

Can't imagine a Ranger without a stick. They will have to compete with the Toyota Hilux in non-US markets. Ford has to think about fleet sales as well. Stripped down models for the lowest cost per vehicle possible for high volume sales = 2wd with a manual.

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
There's going to be big changes in the auto industry between now and 2020. The Tesla Model 3 will have ramped up production by then and other electric vehicles will have hit the market and there will be more hybrids and possibly even a few with hydrogen fuel cells. They may not call them CVT's, but a lot of vehicles are getting automatics with more than 4-5 forward speeds that are at least sort-of CVT's, they certainly aren't conventional transmissions.

That doesn't have anything to do with what we're talking about about. Those are niche vehicles. You aren't going to be seeing vehicles in the classes where talking about with CVTs in 2020.

As someone with a 4WD Explorer that has a manual transmission, I don't really see it as something that is preferable for off-road driving, particularly difficult trails, rock crawling, mudding, anything. It can be tricky and a lot of work, and frankly exhausting. Really, the main reason the manual transmissions were preferable in Explorers were becasue the automatics were so weak and prone to issues, and rebuilding the auto was a professional job that was quite costly, compared to the manual which was rebuildable as a DIY project in the garage or shop, and quite inexpensively by comparison. A manual transmission does have plenty of other general benefits for on-road driving but the new Ranger, as a much larger truck than it's previous namesake, and the new Bronco, which will probably just be a new body on an existing platform, don't seem to be anything I'd want or expect a manual transmission in. It'd be like having a manual transmission in a Raptor. I've driven full size trucks and huge box trucks with manual transmissions and it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I think of a manual transmission as something you'd want in a small and light sports car, maybe a midsize SUV like the Explorer, but anything bigger and heavier just seems like you'd want the automatic, for the extra towing capacity as well.

It may be more exhausting in conditions like off road but you have control over the power to the vehicle that you just don't have with an automatic. If someone brings up the extra effort it takes to drive manuals than you know they don't really know about them. They may be able to drive them but they don't really know about them, the control you have over the vehicle and how to really work them to your advantage. Manuals in heavy trucks makes more sense than an automatic. Manuals if setup to tow/haul have a greater capacity than automatics and will hold up better. You have full power to the ground, more power and they hold up better and can haul/tow more. They just don't setup manual vehicles for towing in vehicles like the Explorers. You would need 4.10 gearing and a heavier transmission than the M5OD. An automatic can't compete with a vehicle with a properly setup manual transmission for towing. Since there is slipping in automatics the heat it builds up kills them. Plus it gets to the point on larger stuff where you can't hardly make an automatic transmission heavy enough to withstand it. You may have an automatic in something heavier and it will move it for a while. But it's not going to last the life of the vehicle like a manual would. I grew up with and driving Class A trucks and heavy equipment. Learned to drive when I was 10 (manual). There wasn't a such thing as an automatic around my house. I had been driving several years before I ever drove an automatic.

Just because it's aimed at the Jeep community doesn't mean it's going to be aimed at hard core off roading. Most Jeepers don't really do any hard core off roading, most have their Jeep to go through mud puddles. So they can point at their Jeep and say "look at all the mud on my Jeep, I went off roading." That's where the new Bronco will be pointed.

I might support a manual in the new Bronco if it was compact enough, but it's likely to be built on a full-size platform and a similar size/width as the new Ranger, something more like a cross between the mid-size early Bronco and the older full-size Bronco. I think it's going to be heavy and a manual isn't going make it fun or enjoyable to drive.

It likely will be built on the same platform as the new Ranger. The heavier the vehicle is, the more I would want a manual transmission. The heavier the vehicle the more an automatic struggles and has even less control over the vehicle.

There's also the practical consideration that adding transmission options, especially if a newer manual transmission has to be developed, increases cost compared to if they just offered say, one transmission with two or three engine options, or even just whatever engine/transmission options they offer in the 2020+ vehicles generally.

It may be that Ford already intends to offer a particular base model of the Ranger and Bronco with a manual transmission, manual transfer case, and a particular engine to go with them. If the next generation Ranger offers a manual transmission in other parts of the world, it will probably get one here. The Bronco is harder to say since it's such a specialty vehicle, and I think it's going to appeal more to older people that had Broncos but won't be considering a manual transmission like I stated previously. If Ford intends to aim the vehicle at the Jeep crowd/offroad enthusiasts, and maybe even make it in a sporty 2WD version, sure, it might get a manual as well.

Manuals are still offered in the Rangers in the rest of the world and since the Ranger will be based on the world Ranger platform a new transmission shouldn't have to be developed. That still doesn't mean it would be offered here unfortunately.

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
So far we have:
Ford has to think about fleet sales as well. Stripped down models for the lowest cost per vehicle possible for high volume sales = 2wd with a manual.

It used to be that way, but I don't think that is the case any longer. From the standpoint that most people can't even drive a stick these days. If a company had a fleet of vehicles all with manuals probably 95% of the employees wouldn't be able to drive them. Even the 1998-2001 fleet Explorers that came in an XL trim had automatics.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
All I can say is I sure hope Motor Trend is wrong about this being the new Bronco.:eek:

http://www.motortrend.com/news/spied-mule-for-2020-ford-bronco-caught-testing-in-michigan/

Bronco_Mule_001.jpg

From Auto Week:
http://autoweek.com/article/spy-photos/spied-could-be-ford-ranger-and-bronco

IMG_2934_0.jpg

IMO, it seems more likely that it would be a redesigned Explorer:dunno: If that's the Bronco the Internet will explode LOL.

Anime

EF YEAH!!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 EX Sport Concept

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
If the is the new Bronco I'd be very sad, lol. That thing is ugly.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH

Personally, I could deal with it being called an Explorer. Body on frame, low range transfercase, just like the old days... But to put a Bronco name on it would dilute Ford's credibility.

So sad... It has now been 18 years since Ford told us they were interested in building a "Jeep Eater", and this certainly isn't it.

With any luck they will use the platform, but not the sheetmetal. A total remake would be needed to call that a Bronco.

roscoe 0202

Reaction score
City, State
salt lake city utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer sport
if you're going to build a bronco like that why not just modify an explorer a little bit trail rate it.
roscoe

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
if you're going to build a bronco like that why not just modify an explorer a little bit trail rate it.
roscoe

The current Explorer is unibody, is front wheel drive bias, and doesn't have a low range transfer case. Rumor has it that the next major revision will have rear wheel drive bias because that's what the police want for their fleet vehicles, but no talk of any other substantial changes which would be good for the off highway enthusiasts.