would you risk it ?? replacement radio/nav | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

would you risk it ?? replacement radio/nav

Lethal-Wombat

Reaction score
City, State
Wash Dc / formerly Perth, Aus
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Would LOVE to upgrade my basic 2013 no-nav xlt system, but just not to sure considering its from Hong Kong .... auction is VERY detailed and has pictures of before and after ....

question is ... would you risk buyin one ??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Car-Stere...xplorer&hash=item3f3f20d1f7&vxp=mtr#vi-ilComp

(cant for the life of me, get it to be a clickable link ... sorry .. :/ )

WHOHOOO ... made it clickable !!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that's only adding navigation to vehicles that already have MFT. Base radio vehicles are SOL.

I would never risk one of those Chinese knock-offs with how integrated the MFT is with so many things.

Also would not pay $500 for NAV, but others no doubt see that differently.

I just use Google NAV off my phone streamed over Bluetooth using a Panavise mount for my phone right next to the MFT so I can easily see the map on the phone while hearing directions. I do this with all three of my cars. Saves in the cost of NAV, Google NAV is a free app, and Google Nav is flawless. While in the house I just set the NAV to where I want to go and does not matter which car I get into. Also is excellent with voice commands for a destination in the vehicle while driving.

I once had an OEM NAV and it was terrible. Have not heard of great improvements since.

Would LOVE to upgrade my basic 2013 no-nav xlt system, but just not to sure considering its from Hong Kong .... auction is VERY detailed and has pictures of before and after ....

question is ... would you risk buyin one ??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Car-Stere...xplorer&hash=item3f3f20d1f7&vxp=mtr#vi-ilComp

(cant for the life of me, get it to be a clickable link ... sorry .. :/ )

WHOHOOO ... made it clickable !!

er ahh, if you are willing to risk this then would you instead be willing to remove and send your APIM to a (former?) Ford upfit
tech who will get it done all nice & OEM right here in the good ol' USA for you and you wont have to worry ?
And support if you need it...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419310
oops same as below mention - FordpiMods...

Ive looked into this very unit and have wondered myself if its worth it.

I want an aftermarket radio so I could do some amps and gain some extra features for my 2015 Base, but i hate how the only dash kit looks for the new explorer (hated how they looked for my 2012 mustang too thats why i never did anything with that either) but when i found this kit, i loved how it looked.

I would buy one in a heartbeat if i could find a US seller who had a return policy which didn't require me to ship it back to china at my expense if it doesn't work or I don't like it.

so i ended up picking up a 13 base. I now need to add Bluetooth and nav. As far as I can tell I have two options. Using the meta dash panel with an aftermarket radio. The other option is to go with the Chinese android navi system. The Chinese system looks really nice but no sat radio. That's not the end of the world cause I have a bunch of Sirius tuner kits. Has anyone tried any of these options.
Thanks

so i ended up picking up a 13 base. I now need to add Bluetooth and nav. As far as I can tell I have two options. Using the meta dash panel with an aftermarket radio. The other option is to go with the Chinese android navi system. The Chinese system looks really nice but no sat radio. That's not the end of the world cause I have a bunch of Sirius tuner kits. Has anyone tried any of these options.
Thanks
You may also be interested in the following thread I found using handy 'Search' feature but buyer beware!
http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...d-screens-for-ford-explorer-2011-2015.449913/

Peter

I know a lot of people who are afraid of cheep chinese aftermarket units and i'm one of them, but this is different.

its an Android 4.4.4 unit working just perfect

Very Very fast response and a high res screen, much better than the original crap ford sync unit

no issues with A\C

you can install any app you want

you can install sat TV very easy

dashcam

obd scanner

ANY thing ....

its been now 6 months with and i'm very happy with it

its a very high quality product

you can but it from here

http://www.roadnavi.com/product/m254-ford-explorer-media-satnav-2012-14/

there is two versions

one for base model with manual a\c control

and for XLT for auto a\c control with sync 2 screen. you can replace the whole unit with the aftermarket one

Nothing for limited

Plug and play, no need to cut wires even if you want install backup camera there is 12v wire only for camera directly from the unit.

I installed it with my self

Sync commands working fine

not sure if it works for explore 16+

M227-1.jpg

Does navigation work? Who does any warranty work that may be required?

Yes it does, it has an integrated nav system with external antenna you can place it anywhere you want. for warranty work i'm not sure i can help you with that. you mean the warranty for the car or the unit or the installation ?

If you must have in dash Navigation, keeping ford OEM is important because of the integrated local on board computer.
Your best bet is to at least confer with Jason who is expert with the MFT system's. As far as upgrading audio it is not necessary to replace the head unit. Speaker upgrades and amps can satisfy anything you feel you need.
Email Jason before you put some unknown Chinese pirated technology in.
Let us know how it go's

Pics from my unit.

IMG_7740.jpg

IMG_7744.jpg

IMG_7746.jpg

IMG_7748.jpg

last pic is torque pro app using obd2 wifi scanner

Yes it does, it has an integrated nav system with external antenna you can place it anywhere you want. for warranty work i'm not sure i can help you with that. you mean the warranty for the car or the unit or the installation ?
Warranty work on the unit itself if something goes wrong.

Warranty work on the unit itself if something goes wrong.

i did install the unit by my self, and i never installed a unit before, its very easy and simple, there is no connector that similar to other, every cable is marked an labeled.

watch this video

he is installing the same unit

until now 6 months with no issues, a\c is working fine

no weird behavior.

its working fine.

our local ford dealer is using an authorized dvd dash store to install these units under the dealer warranty. no one complain about any issue cause by the unit.

i did install the unit by my self, and i never installed a unit before, its very easy and simple, there is no connector that similar to other, every cable is marked an labeled.

watch this video

he is installing the same unit

until now 6 months with no issues, a\c is working fine

no weird behavior.

its working fine.

our local ford dealer is using an authorized dvd dash store to install these units under the dealer warranty. no one complain about any issue cause by the unit.

So my explorer is a base model with Manual climate controls. Would I control it through the screen or the buttons on the bottom. How do the buttons work. Do they light up?

If you must have in dash Navigation, keeping ford OEM is important because of the integrated local on board computer.
Your best bet is to at least confer with Jason who is expert with the MFT system's. As far as upgrading audio it is not necessary to replace the head unit. Speaker upgrades and amps can satisfy anything you feel you need.
Email Jason before you put some unknown Chinese pirated technology in.
Let us know how it go's
I don't have sync, bt, or nav so installing something like this wouldn't hurt any the onboard computer.

I believe there is a U.S. based outfit that has something similar and it has been posted about. Haven't found it yet. As this is an aftermarket device, there is no way it would be warrantied by Ford. You would likely have to return it to the manufacturer in China if anything went wrong with it unless they have a North American distributor.
Check out this; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...sync-mytouch-replacement.448326/#post-3550447

Peter

I believe there is a U.S. based outfit that has something similar and it has been posted about. Haven't found it yet. As this is an aftermarket device, there is no way it would be warrantied by Ford. You would likely have to return it to the manufacturer in China if anything went wrong with it unless they have a North American distributor.
Check out this; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...sync-mytouch-replacement.448326/#post-3550447

Peter
I saw that thread. Thanks. Is the us company radio-update.com. Looks like they are out of Texas and ship the same Chinese radios. I would jump on this in a second if it had Sirius.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know a lot of people who are afraid of cheep chinese aftermarket units and i'm one of them, but this is different.

its an Android 4.4.4 unit working just perfect

Very Very fast response and a high res screen, much better than the original crap ford sync unit

no issues with A\C

you can install any app you want

you can install sat TV very easy

dashcam

obd scanner

ANY thing ....

its been now 6 months with and i'm very happy with it

its a very high quality product

you can but it from here

http://www.roadnavi.com/product/m254-ford-explorer-media-satnav-2012-14/

there is two versions

one for base model with manual a\c control

and for XLT for auto a\c control with sync 2 screen. you can replace the whole unit with the aftermarket one

Nothing for limited

Plug and play, no need to cut wires even if you want install backup camera there is 12v wire only for camera directly from the unit.

I installed it with my self

Sync commands working fine

not sure if it works for explore 16+

M227-1.jpg

I've been watching this unit and wondering if sync voice will still work, you just answered my question thanks for the review.

Back