WOW, Gen. IV fuel filters easier than Gen III! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WOW, Gen. IV fuel filters easier than Gen III!

edwx

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
I was surprised to say the least that when I went to change the fuel filter on my '06, there was no special fuel line disconnect tool required. Just a plastic snap clip on each end. One of the clips required a small flat head screwdriver to unsnap it, but the only special tool required other than that was fingers. Of course it's still a small PITA to get to it, they still have 2 covers protecting it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep, I did mine at about 95k miles, and besides those 2 plates, and exhaust being hot, it was not that bad. Just 10 mm socket and flat screwdriver needed I believe.
Do it on a cold car, so you do not burn your hands on the hot cat like I did.

Yeah, definitely a cold engine! I relieved the fuel line pressure, but gas still poured out everywhere, and I quickly had to move the light (light bulb plugged into 110V) I was using. Couldn't imagine it with a HOT engine.

Were you able to crawl under or did you need ramps?

I would definitely recommend ramps, or jack. A little elbow room is required.

Where is the fuel filter located on the '06 4.0L?

Also, I've read in a few different locations (on this site) where the '06 requires the special tool to remove the filter, but above says, that it is not needed. Did the '06 come with two different filters?

Thanks

You have to locate the heat shield under the passenger seat behind the cat. There is a very helpful video on YouTube also.
Did mine the other day. You need a 10mm and a 13mm socket to remove both covers. The 10 needs to be a deep socket.
I used the ramps and a cold engine, pulled the #4 fuse from under the hood to kill the pressure.
Just used a few different screwdrivers to disconnet the lines. The one on the left side was kinda a pain to pry the u shaped piece out.

Glad I changed it, black fuel poured from the old one.

No wonder the cost is low to have dealer replace fuel filter. The dealer did mine this summer at a low cost (I don't remember exactly how much).

I'm sure the quick lube places or shops will want 50-60 bucks to change. The money I saved can go back into the tank.

Back