Wow, my X is alot faster that I thought! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wow, my X is alot faster that I thought!

Long story short, me and my bud went out cruisin, him in his 5.0L stang and me in my SOHC and ended up at a line up of 4 cars consisting of us 2, an S2000 and a miata.
Mustang got first but I beat(by a LONG shot) the S2000 and the miata was way too far back to see. Well not THAT far cuz it wasnt that long of a road but damn I beat an S2000 I thought they were fast:rolleyes: oh well.

Then, found a huge long open stretch and raced my buddies 5.0 1 on 1. And oddly enough I had him up to 100km/h(65ish mph). I heard his tires spin a little off the line but not much. By the time we had to slow down(my speedo said 160km) he was about 4 car lengths ahead. We all knew my truck was fairly fast but we were super surprised after that night. It was crazy, and now im happy:D

It sounds kinda like B.S(unless you have a SOHC lol) becuase I wouldnt believe it unless I saw it but I speak the truth.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by STANN
Yea, and only like 150 ft/lbs of torque.
Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races- All kinds of races :D

And gearing is the equalizer for lack of torque when you have a 9k redline.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't worry, we believed you. Now if you changed the story to a Viper instead of a Honda, then we might have some little doubt.

I beat Vipers all the time. Too bad it's with the Cobra and not the Ex. :D

I raced a Maro SS one time, back when my x was stock, and I beat him to halfway into 2nd gear, then he was gone. Suprised me.

S2Ks are very quick, and have VERY short gearing so they don't need torque. The problem is you have to flog them to get them to go anywhere. I personally hate having short gearing simply because they spin too high on the highway, and I hate listening to a 4-cylinder exhaust note for more than about 10 seconds...

And also, yes, short gearing makes up for the lack of torque, but with a close-ratio 'box you will be shifting every second to keep the thing in its powerband. Basically, S2K not made for drags.

but with a close-ratio 'box you will be shifting every second to keep the thing in its powerband. Basically, S2K not made for drags.

That is soo true. I have owned everything from muscle cars, to high revving 4's. Now I have an suv :p

Not to many people realize that you cannot throw all sporty cars into the same group. My boss at work is a hard core muscle car guy. In his mind a 4 cylinder can never beat a v8 in quarter mile :rolleyes:

High revving honda 4's take a lot of skill to master. The average driver on the street cannot launch one for $hit. Also factoring in vtec, it takes much less time to get from 6k to redline than it does to get that initial 6k :D The close ratio gear box is designed to drop you right on top of the vtec torque peak in the integra type r, and the s2000.

Going from mustang gt's to integra's took a little getting use to. But if you have ever heard the exhaust note of a v8 ferrari getting flogged at 8k+ rpms :D Sounds like a 4 cylinder getting flogged since the ferrari 8's are not cruciform. Two cylinders fire at a time. This allows more power at the expense of smoothness.

Well enough rambling for one post. My lightly moded gsr was capable of mid to high 14 quarter mile. BTW, I raced a friend in a isuzu rodeo for fun. He had me until 30 mph or so. That was with an easy launch, no spinning going up a hill.

how did you like your gsr?

Going from mustang gt's to integra's took a little getting use to

What?? Why?? Lose a bet?? :p

j/k thanks for the input.:)

Originally posted by Silverblade
What?? Why?? Lose a bet?? :p

j/k thanks for the input.:)

Haha. I always have to be different. At the time, 7 years ago :eek: I am getting old, everyone had mustangs. The 3rd gen gsr's were fairly rare. At that point in my life I was into street racing(I was young and dumb). I was surprised at how fast these little 4's were, and thought an 8k+ redline was cool also. So I decided to give the teg's a try. I owned 2 of them. Both were stolen. So no more tegs for me. Personally I think at the time of the arrival of the 3rd gen gsr in 1994 they were a nice buy. Mid 15's quarter mile and 25+ mpg. Mustang gt's were running about the same time back then. Now with turbo neons(too bad they can't make that car look good) and wrx's, and other turbo 4's vtec is not that great in comparison. Unless you are adding a turbo to your vtec car :D

My next toy will be a turbo car. Probably a wrx, or sti. The sc'ed cobra is very nice, if only they could get it closer to 30k :mad:

Nothing beats the throttle response of a well-tuned NA motor though. :D

Nothing beats the throttle response of a well-tuned NA motor though. :D

That is the truth :D

Financing on my X fell through, since the finance company thought it had too many miles. So now I have a 2002 wrx. It needs some more boost though. I forgot what 25+ mpg feels like. I filled up and drove 60 miles tonight. It is barely off F.

I am considering a finding a 96 X though. The gas mileage it got is the only problem I am having with it right now though. :( I drive too much (30k+) to get 16 mpg.

If you get a 96 up GET THE V8! Sure you will get 1-2 less mpg, but you will more than make up for it in repairs, and parts.

Originally posted by Mbrooks420
If you get a 96 up GET THE V8! Sure you will get 1-2 less mpg, but you will more than make up for it in repairs, and parts.
Nah, V-6 is just fine. My SOHC will out-accelerate most stock V-8s and the 5R is in no sight of dying.

How is the 5r so much better than the POS a4ld and 4r? The v8 drivetrain is a lot more stout than the sohc, or the 5r, plus the aftermarket parts are way more plentiful.

My friends want me to find a v8 4x4 X :D

I think the gas mileage observation is accurate. The ford 302 is like 100 years old anyway :p , so parts are pretty cheap.

Back