WOW...New 4+plugs and Splitfire Wires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WOW...New 4+plugs and Splitfire Wires

sluke

Reaction score
Just replaced the plugs and wires with botsch 4+ plats and dual core splitfire wires. What an improvement!!!! I hope to better gas mileage a little with these improvments. I already have a few cheap mods working together:

Holes in airbox
k&n filter
4+plugs
splitfire wires
30x9.50 AT tires
Eagle alum. wheels 15x7
Aftermarket keyless entry
poly radius arm bushings
monroe sensitrac shocks
10-disc sony cd player

!991 EB Explorer with 147,000 miles Green/tan xterior and tan leather interior

What a great vehicle this has been!!!

Still can't believe the improvement the 4+ plugs and splitfire wires made. Dead Link Removed

------------------

shawna l.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shawna,
I have a similar set up as you, I also love the improvement in performance. I see that you are runnign Monroe Sensatrac shocks I will be needing to replace my shocks this summer so what do you think about yours? I was considerign them.

------------------
Nick
'93 XLT 4 Door 4x4
Bosch Plat+4's with SplitFire Dual Core wires and a
K&N Air Filter with a Modified Air Box

Yo Gigantor, i see you have a K&N filter and you indicated that you had a modified air box. what kind of mods have you done. for the past few weeks, i have been kicking myself in the butt trying to figure out how to get more cool air into the box... enlighten me Gigantor. I already have a flat drop-in filter. anything will help. 5.0L V-8.
thanks

I got my SensaTracs about 6 months ago and I am happy with them. They are MUCH, MUCH better than stock. Not quite as good as the high end shocks but for half the price you can't go wrong.

HuiDaddy
To modify your airbox, you need to drill 1" or so holes throughout the entire bottom portion of your airbox. (sides of the bottom) I did that to my 91 and it is amazing. I also cut them in my dads 90 Bronco 5.0 with the same results. Good Luck

------------------
'91 2 dr Eddie Bauer
modified air box
K&N filter
MUCH MORE TO COME

Gigantor
Ditto on KyleC's response to the sensatracs. Could not justify the more pricey shocks due to mostly town driving. Very pleased with sensatracs.
I had them on my 93 Full size Bronco also. They work for me! Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed

------------------

shawna l.

Shawna-I'm surprised that more posters haven't discovered the Splitfire-Bosch P+4 combo yet. I've had the Splitfire wires in my '91 for about five years and they worked great with the Autolite plats I had in before the replaced them with the Bosch. I think they are one of the best combo out there. Congratulation on the discovery and upgrade. I'm sure you'll be as happy with the performance as I am.

S.Matsushige
At first, my brother and i had installed the 4+ plugs because the wires i had to order were not in yet.
I was very impressed with the engines smoothness with the plugs alone. Then, when the Splitfire plug wires arrived and i got them installed, it ran even better. I have not had a chance to check the gas mileage yet, mainly because i carpool, with me driving the least. Dead Link Removed But the performance, so far, has been very noticable.;wink
Anyway, thanks S.Matsushige for all your knowledgable input on these explorers. It's always a pleasure communicating with you. Dead Link Removed

------------------

shawna l.

Shawna-Thank you for all of your informative posts as well. Wink right back at yah! Its helped us all too. Keep smiling!

Where did you get the wires from? Performace Products has them for about $55.

Is there a cheaper place??

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD 5spd
Warrior Twist
http://www.explorer4x4.com/thaven_juan.jpg

Felsmann
I ordered them from Sears Automotive.
They were $57 including shipping price.
Took about 4 days to get them.

------------------

shawna l.

Yes the Bosch +4 plugs are great.
i've just put them in.
No new wires yet but comming.

------------------

I just finish installing this weekend the perfect ignition combo: SPLITFIRE & BOSCH +4 plugs, is incredible the performance my truck has gained, I'm very happy with the acceleration and the smoothness of the engine. I purchased the wires along with some other products, from JCWHITNEY for 54.99 minus 10% (promotion sale) plus a factory rebate for $10.00. This ignition combo is worth every penny

mflores-Welcome to the list of people to discover this combo. I think the price for the Splitfire wires are very reasonable when you consider the benefits along with the Bosch P+4s. Congratulations!

mflores-Welcome to the list of people to discover this combo. I think the price for the Splitfire wires are very reasonable when you consider the benefits along with the Bosch P+4s. Congratulations!

HELP
Can anyone with a 91 EXP tell me what the part # is for Bosch P+4 sparkplugs? Yesterday I bought some Bosch plugs (Part# 4458)but the threaded portion was longer then the old AC Delcos (Part# 765) I had just taken off. I went to 4 different shops and they all tried to sell me the 4458's. I ended up buying the double platinum AC Delcos.

thanks

Doc,
Kinda a long shot, but are you sure the old plugs you had in were the right ones? From what I remember on mine, the threaded portion of mine were awfully long too. I would try backing myself into it. In other words, see what part # they (parts place) were showing for your old AC's. You may find they weren't the right ones to start with.

------------------
Ira
91 XLT 4x4
What do Playboy and National Geographic have in common? Just a couple of the places I will never get to visit :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry for the multiple post of the same message. My computer had gas and must have burped! Sorry again!

Back