WOW, things have changed...need help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WOW, things have changed...need help!

Bottomlesspit

Reaction score
City, State
Del Rio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
Hello to all of the faithful Explorer guys out there. I last posted in Sep 04 and this if the first time back since then. I am a bit lost in this site, but hope you guys can help answer a few questions or send me to an appropriate forum.
I had to sell my X in 2004 to help support my wife's new 04 F-150. I took over the family sedan...99 Expedition. Well, the poor Expedition is on it's last legs and we need to get another Explorer.
I have read where the 2006 models are really nice and have been improved significantly over these earlier models.
I stopped my the dealer last night to see what they had...and got frightened when I saw the sticker prices! :eek: :confused:
Even just a base, no nothing stock 2006 looks like I would be paying mid to upper 20's, the nice ones were at least 30 or more.
We need a new X for my daily driver, as well as, the "family" vehicle. Our kids are now older where we almost never go anywhere together, so the huge expedition stuff is out now...we want to scale down a bit. I also need to tow my boat occasionally when I can't get my wife's F-150. The boat weighs around 3,000lbs.
I looked at their used vehicles and found a almost brand new 2005 Explorer, looks like it hadn't even been driven. It is a 4x4, power everything, step boards, leather, sunroof...seems to have everything loaded on it. Not a scratch on it, interior looks brand new. They want $20,000.

Guys, I'm confused now. This seems like a great deal, considering how upgraded the 2005 is compared to the higher priced basic 2006 models.
What would I be giving up by going with a 2005? Is the 2006 worth the extra money and me just living without all the upgrades?
I am trying to balance this all out. I sure don't want to get a 2005 and then find the 2006 was SO much better? I know you all drive the 2005 or so models, so I don't want to offend. Heck, this 2005 on the lot is beautiful. My previous X was a 1999 XLS that I did a lot of mods to when I was active on this board.
I would appreciate any advice you all could give me. Things to consider? Comparisons...would a base 06 be better than a decked out 05?
My 99 Expedition is slowly dying, so I HAVE to get something soon before I loose out and get stuck with a dead Expediton!
Thanks so much for reading this. All comments are helpful and appreciated.
Ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would definitely go for the 2005 for $20k. That is an outstanding deal, and you will appreciate the features as well as the extra money in your pocket. The 2005 and 2006 are not really all that different. Sure the interior is changed and there are other mechanical differences, but it's still IRS and the 4.0L engine is still pretty much the same. One added bonus of the 2005 is that it was the last year of that bodystyle, so they got most of the bugs out by then. The 2006 is the first year for the new style, so there are going to be some bugs..

Jason

Thanks Jason.
Yeah, That 2005 sure seems like a nice deal. It really is a beautiful looking truck. It's some sort of metal flake tan, shines like the sun! Step boards included.
I'm not sure about those little tow bars stuck inside the rear bumpers. Just what are they for? I mean they don't look like they could tow much at all. What if someone needs to haul something like my boat? My expedition has one beefy tow bar back there! What's the deal with those tiny stock bars? Other than that, I like the 2005, but had heard and read so much about the new 06 models...lot's more power, rides like it is on pillows, quiet, etc. I just can't swallow the sticker price. I think I like the shifter in the middle, but since I am used to the column shifts now, I can live with it once again.
Any more comments guys? How are the 05 models in terms of power? My last Explorer only had the little ohv 4.0 and wasnt' known for it's off the line acceleration :(
Thanks again Jason,
Ken

well the new ex's, 06's that is, the V8 has a mustang engin eit. 292 horsepower and 300 ft ibs of torque, compared with the 05's V8 that came with 240. as for the V6;s they basically stayed the same, but ford claims they have made reviosions to make it run cleaner and be 6% more fuel efficient. Basically imo i would go with the 05. the 06';s are already getting thier recalls and such.

I had a 4.0 OHV as well in my old '96. The 4.0 SOHC in my '04 is a huge improvement. Dont get me wrong, 210 hp is not ridiculous power, but it will get out of its own way. The old OHV used to struggle up hills and sound like hell when you would wind it out past 3500 RPM. The SOHC pulls much better, has a broader powerband, and sounds nice right up to redline.
I'm sure the V8 in the new 06 is probably even nicer, but it uses more gas.

As far as trailer hitches, if it comes with the 1.5" receiver in the bumper then you can buy the 2" receiver off ebay and replace the small one. It bolts to the frame so it is just as capable as one of those aftermarket u-haul style hitches.

Happy, Happy day today. I brought home my new...to me...2005 XLT loaded Explorer. It looks brand new inside and out, but does have 20,000 miles on it. Previous owner must not have ever had it in the rain? Rides like a dream, and definitely rides better than my old 99XLS I was so proud of.
I will definitely need to get that bigger hitch you mentioned. I'll check Ebay and see what I can find. Are your talking about old Explorer takeoffs..OEM stuff here?
I guess I've got to start making my list of things to do to it...mods, things to buy, etc. I just can't leave well enough alone.
I remember countless nights sitting here on this website discussing all the latest mods we had done. I sure missed doing that! I just quite this board totally after losing my 99...hardly had anything to live for!
I just found my 4x4 Explorer T-shirts I bought from here...glad I saved them. I only regret not keeping my expensive Autovation Explorer engraved pedals set. What a dumb move that was.
Anyhow, I'm glad to be back. I hope to run into a few of you from a few yrs back. The only problem I am having is navigating this site. Things have changed and I don't know where I belong. I suppose this is the best area, covering our model years, but now there's no generic area for asking general questions. Seems the audience is really narrowed down and not much traffic like before? Any suggestions? It seems it would take a good week just to work through all 5,000,000,000 forums. I'll keep trying.
Thanks guys.
Ken

Congrats Ken!
Yes the hitches im talking about are factory parts that are for sale. I dont know where the ebay people get them, but it has been discussed in some other threads if you search for it. I think there is one for sale on there right now. I'm sure you can get them from other sources also..

Bottomlesspit said:
Anyhow, I'm glad to be back. I hope to run into a few of you from a few yrs back. The only problem I am having is navigating this site. Things have changed and I don't know where I belong. I suppose this is the best area, covering our model years, but now there's no generic area for asking general questions. Seems the audience is really narrowed down and not much traffic like before? Any suggestions? It seems it would take a good week just to work through all 5,000,000,000 forums. I'll keep trying.
Thanks guys.
Ken
You are in the correct area for this. My best advice for navigating the site is to jut go to the front page of the forum and just look at all of the names of the forums. You'll see there are "sub" forums under most forums. Think of what forum would be best for any questions or comments you might have and post away.

Welcome back. :thumbsup:

Like FROADER said, just post where you think it belongs. Worse comes to worse, a moderator will move it for you! :thumbsup:

-Drew

hey man how big is your boat? mine is a 17 foot fishing boat, and i'm not sure how much it weighs, but probably in the 3000 range with the trailer, and an 04 with the little baby hitch pulls it just fine. anything bigger though, and i would probably upgrade.....

Thanks again for all the replies.
I am sooo glad to be back in an Explorer. The Expedition I inherited from my wife ...she stole the brand new F-150....was a nice ride, but always felt way too big. I love the size of the Explorer...just right!!!
I am searching through the forums looking for mods that might be applicable to the 05 models. Doesn't seem like much is out there right now?? I know I was only gone a little less than 2 yrs, but it sure looks like a lot changed on the site.
Xpilot,
I have a 1992 Baja Islander 180 18 foot V hull. Mercruiser Sterndrive 4.3lx I never had it weighed, but guys on my Baja site claim that the boat weighs around 3000 pounds or so. I am surprised that your fishing boat weighs that much...that's a heavy fishing boat. My hull is a very deep hull and the boat is on the wide side. We have fun hauling the kids around on their tubes, skis, and knee boards. We've got out once this year so far. Got to shake the cobwebs out for the coming season, right?!
I have been hauling it with the Expedition and the 2" draw bar. The stock class II hitch doesn't instill a lot of confidence in me.
Well, any ideas about mods I should consider for my 05..please send them my way. I love to tinker on my vehicles!
Thanks,
Ken

Attachments

• 99.JPG
    99.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 198

Back