n2knee

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 EB
Another Explorer????

Dead Link Removed

Could this be the new competition for the Jeep Wrangler?

[Edited by Ray Lobato on 10-11-2000 at 10:05 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea I heard about these when I bought my Sport Trac. I hope they put them into production, Well maybe not. I have enough to pay for now. I love the look though and would really consider buying one if they came out. I think it was about 7 months ago that I heard about it so maybe someday soon. Hey this is my 400th post woo-hoo!

That's pretty sweet! Notice the little scoop right above the airbox ;) Maybe some Ford engineers ARE scoping out this board. I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know! The little snorkle looking device above the headlight. I wonder if they will at least just make that hood for some of us! Love the Explorer, and I WANT ONE to!

Not bad!

But what is UNDERNEATH that cute little body?

I definitely want one!!!

Maybe underneath we will find solid axles, front and back, water-resistant seats, good stereo, manual transfer case, ABS brakes, coil over shocks all around, 31" tires standard, 16" wheels, manual transmission would be nice but automatic could come in handy. What else guys/gals??!! This definitely doesn't look like a grocery getter. I would buy one if Ford decided to go for it, what do you think the price tag for something like this would be? I'm thinking in the $15,000-$20,000 range, but I'm just guessing.

Sweet jiminy christmas, that is the coolest Explorer I think I've ever seen! Could use a little more ground clearance, but the front end looks like the 95-2000 setup, so maybe lifting it wouldn't be too tough, provided the rest of it is the same... Anybody know where that picture came from? Where was the truck displayed? It'd be nice to think Ford listened to this board on the airbox scoop there, cuz if they did, they'd be sure to notice all the excitement in the threads regarding a Wrangler fighter. Here's hoping they actually build something like it.

Thought does look pretty cool... if it was decently priced, I'd buy one... looks like a more rounded version of the wrangler version almost. I wonder about those foglights... hmm... Can't also help but notice the close proximaty of the tire to the wheel well... I don't know what size those tires are but it looks like you won't be able to go much bigger...

Notice the little scoop right above the airbox

A ram-air Explorer perhaps.

Anybody know where that picture came from?

A Blueovalnews.com member posted the picture. I'll ask him about it.

The real thing?

Thinking it over, there are actually some details that make me doubt that this is the real thing. For launching a new model, also if it's just a prototype/case study, a company like Ford normally chooses a big motor show with a great setting. It looks as if the picture was taken somewhere outside, and the setting of this display is very poor (just look at the box, where the right rear wheel is standing on). I don't think there is currently an important motor show going on, and if it would have been on a show some weeks back, for sure the press would have picked it up and we would have read it somewhere. I have just read a very brief note in the last issue of one of the four wheel drive magazines (Petersen's??) that there are rumors about Ford building a Wrangler like vehicle. In this stage of a project, I assume the press would know more about it.

This truck is actually on display which means, it's not a secret prototype somebody spied in the desert of Arizona or around Detroit.

What also confuses me, is, looking at the shape of the door and specially at the location of the rollbars, I don't really see any indication for any possibility to put a soft or hard top on, or to attach a upper half to the door. Unless if it is a prototype which is never ment to go into production, I don't think a manufacturer like Ford would plan on bringing a car without any top on the market.

On the other hand, it looks almost too well built for being the artwork of an conversion company. Other giveaway of conversion companies: They normally "sign" their cars with some ugly stickers.

Well, I admit, I'm truely confused, and a definitely would like to see more pictures of this car. It looks interesting and, without knowing any technical facts, is a step in the right directions. But I think there are still too many details wrong with that thing.

Nevertheless, I think I also would like to have one!

[Edited by donkey boy on 10-12-2000 at 11:51 AM]

Throw a V-8 under the hood and I'm going to the bank. That is one hell of a ride........
I just hope that Ford took just as much time with the internal design of the truck as they did with the exterior!

I think it looks like a great concept...I'd give a better response if more details...like a 302 under the hood...dana 44 up front manual transfer case...33's stock! that would be the day!
Pete

Originally posted by mike91
I just hope that Ford took just as much time with the internal design of the truck as they did with the exterior!
Okay, before we get to excited here...

How do we know that was built by Ford? I mean, it could be the spawn of some regular Joe Shmoe. As Ryan Penner likes to say, "The Sawzall is your friend!" Give me enough time and $$$, and yeah, I could do the same thing! Hmm...maybe 4 doors? Heh heh heh...

The reason I asked about where the photo came from is that this thing doesn't look like a Ford concept for some reason. In addition to the points already mentioned, why would Ford build it on a 95-00, when the new Sports are already out? Wouldn't it make sense to build it on the newer bodystyle? That would give people a better idea of what it would look like if it actually did make it to production, after all. I hope it is a Ford product, but I have my doubts.

Originally posted by Spectre
The reason I asked about where the photo came from is that this thing doesn't look like a Ford concept for some reason. I hope it is a Ford product, but I have my doubts.
The oval shaped emblem in the center of the grille gives it away for me.

Ya know, I started to stare at it and It could be some sorta home/pro creation...None the less I like that style but still wanna know more.
Pete

one thing about the body style, though.....for each new model, the body style is a year behind. for instance, the ranger changed in 94, but the explorer didn't change until 95. it works that way with chevy too. maybe they just have a surplus of older body style parts, and used them. in the future, they would probably change to newer style later. just my 2 cents....

actually i just looked at it again...and didn't ford buy land rover? that looks a lot like the defender with a minor face lift....maybe their working in a new design from there.....tack on another 2 cents for me....

Dead Link Removed

[Edited by riffman on 10-12-2000 at 04:44 PM]

Hum...I'm completely baffled now...I have no clue what that is...I'm leaning towards one of the most custom explorers out there....But I could be wrong.
Pete

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You know what also - never know when the picture was taken... in actuality it could be a couple years old. If so and it was a Ford concept, we will never see it.

Back