Wrangler eater? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wrangler eater?

Originally posted by riffman
...actually i just looked at it again...and didn't ford buy land rover? that looks a lot like the defender with a minor face lift....maybe their working in a new design from there.....tack on another 2 cents for me....

Dead Link Removed

Well, that's a sharp looking Explorer, I want one of those :D
Hmmm - did I get something wrong?

Riffman, I need to disagree with you about the facelifted Defender. You would never be able to fit a Defender chassis underneath that body without any MAJOR changes to the frame.

Ricardo is a kind of close, I also thought of an ISUZU, not the Amigo, the other one (Momtero, Trooper???) which is offered as short wheelbase in many countries. I think it's the color and wheels.

Wouldn't a beefed-up early Bronco with Explorer front look like that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

honestly, i know nothing about defenders, othere than i want one!!!! i just noticed some of the similarities (sp?) between the 2 pics....the full roll cage, also in front of the windshield...stuff like that....i don't know how the frame goes.....so it was just a guess.....i still like that truck!!

hey donkey.....why did you get rid of your defender, eh?

Riffman

The U.S. goverment made me getting rid of it! I brought it with me from Europe, but the Defender 110 Td5 not being U.S. specs, I needed to send it back after 12 months (or perform and pass some crash tests with it, which was not really an option). Emissions would not have been a real problem, but it was a '99 and did not had any airbags, which was the major nono. If I would have been working for the embassy, I would have been able to keep it for the entire duration of my stay in this beautyfull country. Makes sence, doesn't it? It actually was my third Landy, the first new one after two old and beaten-up ones.

Oh well, I will get over it ... one day ... maybe ... buuhuuhu!

where are you from originally? is the defender 90 still legal? or at least the older ones?

I'm originally from Switzerland, born and raised in the German speeking part, but living for the last ten years in the French part, in La Neuveville, close to Neuchâtel.

The Defender 90 was sold in the U.S. from '94 until the end of '97, very very few in the first months of '98. All these Defenders remain legal. But cars and SUVs manufactured from '98 on need to have driver and passenger airbag by law. This was the end for the Defender being imported to the U.S..

This whole airbag stuff is actually one of the main reason, that Land Rover want's/wanted to bring a new Defender in 2002. Let's see what Ford decides!

The picture of the Jeep eater was taken by a guy who had attended the Ford No Bounderies marketing event. Here is a pic of an Arctic Sport Trac as well.

Dead Link Removed

Arctic Sport Trac

That Arctic Sport Trac looks like something that could go on the cover of the Mini Sport Trucks magazine, even though it's not too mini. If it's really supposed to resemble something used in the snowy climates, maybe some bigger meats would look better on it. I like those rims a lot too.

Ricardo

Back