Wrapped my faux wood trim on door panels and glove box. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wrapped my faux wood trim on door panels and glove box.

Toddman41

Reaction score
City, State
Herculaneum, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019, Explorer Limited
It drove me nuts having the fake brown wood trim on the door panels and glove box top in my Explorer. So I picked up a roll of black vinyl with small silver sparkles to cover the hideous fake wood plastic trim on the four door and glove box.

I used a heat gun, small rubber squeegee and craft razor knife for trimming the vinyl. I think it turned out amazing considering it was my 1st time ever wrapping anything. I can't wait to see how good it looks in sunlight. I attached a pic of before the vynil for comparison!
20201221_195619.jpg
20201221_201254.jpg
20201221_213245.jpg
20201221_201324.jpg
20201221_213102.jpg
20201221_195557.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good!

Did you take anything apart?

Where did you get your vinyl wrap?

I was looking at eBay and found a kit with all 5 pieces for $25. But I bet I can buy a roll of 2" vinyl and do it myself.

Where did you get your vinyl wrap?

I was looking at eBay and found a kit with all 5 pieces for $25. But I bet I can buy a roll of 2" vinyl and do it myself.
On Amazon for 25.00 for a 3'x5' roll

Ordered. We’ll see how it goes.

Ordered. We’ll see how it goes.
It was pretty easy I used a heat gun, arts and crafts razor blade to trim the vynil and a silicone squeegee to apply it. Just take your time

Do you know if that trim piece comes off the glove box? It’s freezing here and don’t want to sit outside and try.

Worst case is I take the whole glove box out and bring it inside.

Do you know if that trim piece comes off the glove box? It’s freezing here and don’t want to sit outside and try.

Worst case is I take the whole glove box out and bring it inside.
No clue, I do know the glove box cand be removed. But I didn't have the need to, as mine was done parked in the garage.

I decided to take my glove box out and try to do that piece inside the house the other day.

I had it on a chair and it fell on the floor and it scratched off some of the silver in the corner. Just enough to make it noticeable and to make me mad.

So I ordered a new piece and it will be here in a few days. I hope it is an easy install.

When it warms up here I'll attempt to do the doors.

I decided to take my glove box out and try to do that piece inside the house the other day.

I had it on a chair and it fell on the floor and it scratched off some of the silver in the corner. Just enough to make it noticeable and to make me mad.

So I ordered a new piece and it will be here in a few days. I hope it is an easy install.

When it warms up here I'll attempt to do the doors.
Yeah, that sucks. Nothing worse than damaging interior trim when trying to do a mod or upgrade!😏

Just an update...finally got this done and it looks much better.

The issue I had with the glove box is fixed. It took a bit to get the piece. I really didn't want to separate the glove box in half. I looked at the inside where the 4 screws were holding the piece in. I decided to drill holes from the inside of the glove box so I could get to them. Then I just backed the screws out and put in the new vinyl wrapped peice. You can only tell I drilled the holes out if you really look. So now that piece is easily accessible.

Pics or it didn't happen....😆😎

A much cleaner look! Thanks again to Todd for the idea.

Back