Wreck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wreck

This past week a lady stopped short in front of me and I rear-ended her. I panicked, but she was extremely nice. It was at about 20 mph. I really was relieved to see the damage on my explorer. My front license plate was scratched, that's IT. The Dodge Durango I hit had to get a whole new bumper. It was a big mistake, but I'm glad to know my explorer is so safe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad to hear no one was hurt, as well as your explorer. Explorers seem to handle well in crashes from what I've seen on here. I hope to never find out personally!

Glad to hear everything's ok! Definitely not a wreck though. Fender bender at most.

glad that no one was hurt

Did she stop that short or were you ridding her bumper since she was only going 20mph. By law you have to keep a safe distance and if you rear end anyone in my state its your fault.

I rear ended a truck with a 2000 ford focus sony limited and i was going about 20mph and it wasn't a short stop. The car had these cheap tires ford put on when i bought the car used in 2002. you could be going down a hill in the rain at like 15 or 20 MPH and hit the brake and slide down the rest of the hill with the tires locked up. It was a slight downgrade and i hit the brakes and the focus kept sliding and i saw it coming and i tried to turn the wheel to the right to go around them and it kept sliding straight. all i did to my car was crack the plastic bumper cover and you could see the square mark of a receiver hitch and no damnage was done to their truck. I never did have my bumper fixed since i had a 500 dollar deductable and it was just a crack. i just put touch up paint on it. I still have the car and after getting new tires it no longer slides down hill on wet roads. it now has 87k miles on it and have owned it for 8 years myself and when I bought it the car had 36k miles. I only put a little over 6k miles on it a year.

I remember looking on ebay and seeing lots of ford focuses with front end damnage when they first came out. I think it was due to the tires ford used.

Um. no I have Michelins that are less than a year old. I had no damage but my front license plate was scratched and I broke a fog light. The piece of crap dodge I hit needed a bumper, two tail lights, and a new tailgate.

you could be going down a hill in the rain at like 15 or 20 MPH and hit the brake and slide down the rest of the hill with the tires locked up.

There's two things I was taught to never skimp on when it comes to cars. Brakes and Tires. It might be a slight problem if you can't get going, but it's a catastrophe if you can't stop.

wwrightsc said:
The piece of crap dodge I hit needed a bumper, two tail lights, and a new tailgate.

Newer vehicles are designed to crumple under impact and absorb the energy of the crash instead of transferring it to your body. Makes them safer and turns fender benders into cash cows.

My front license plate was scratched, that's IT.

thats what happened to my X when my girlfriends mom backed into me. she has a 2004 CR-V and it pushed in her plastic bumper and jacked the rear spare tire mount on hers. all mine had was a bent/scratched license plate. kinda funny.
glad nothing worse happened. :roll:

Back