Wrench Light sign coming up with Clunk sound in transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wrench Light sign coming up with Clunk sound in transmission

Chughtai

Reaction score
City, State
Riyadh
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2006 - XLT
I have Explorer 2006 XLS AWD. 2 weeks back i started observing wrench symbol on my car. It won't appear once i start the car but when i started driving and pumped the gas pedal the wrench tool symbol would appear and car will not pick up or do the missing. I searched this forum and internet and found that it could be due to any of the sensors (MAF, IAT, TPS). I checked them all and they were all fine. Later I found out that the connector cables for MAF sensor were short that caused its FUSE (#42 in fuse box) to blow up which caused this WRENCH SYMBOL to appear. I replaced the fuse and since then the light disappeared and car returned back to its normal.
Today while driving back home from some drive, car's transmission started to give clunking sound while up or down shifting gears. I shifted the gears to manual and from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd the gears are shifting normally but from 3rd to D shift there is a terrible clunk sound and it will shake up the whole car. Sometimes it would feel like someone has rear-ended your car..:eek:
Well while doing this testing and diagnosis all of a sudden this WRENCH SYMBOL light has come up again. This time it is not due to bad sensor as i can't find any kind of strange response from engine.
While searching over the internet I found that there are multiple reasons for this thing and one of them can also be due to bad battery or lose connection. I checked my battery terminal and found that one of the terminals connector is lose (tightened it but still its lose) and currently none of the stores were open from where I can replace the lose terminal.
So does any one over here has experience such strange issue?
Also if anyone has any other ideas on what could be the reasons for this behavior and light.

P.S: Currently i have not got any codes scanned and it would be until next week I can go somewhere to get them scanned. Until that time if there is any other idea which can be useful to get this issue rid of.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Forgot to mention that now when i am trying to engage O/D i am unable to do that... Otherwise before that it was working all perfectly until this issue occurred..:|

Today I took the car out again and I can say that although O/D light is not coming up but it is engaging because when I press O/D button the RPM goes high and when I press the button again RPM goes back down. So it seems to be some electrical problem...

Anybody out there with any clue?

Guys I haVe codes read and below are the codes coming up
P0798 solenoid c electrical
P0968 solenoid c control

Now advise should I go for changing this whole solenoid valve or check electrical connections first...?
Is there any fuse for this thing in particular?

Guys I haVe codes read and below are the codes coming up
P0798 solenoid c electrical
P0968 solenoid c control

Now advise should I go for changing this whole solenoid valve or check electrical connections first...?
Is there any fuse for this thing in particular?

Back