Wrong MPG on my instrumentation display | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wrong MPG on my instrumentation display

Mike, thanks for the clarification, it makes sense they would give the manufacturers a nice loophole out.
But isn't everything a "safety problem" when your moving a couple tons down a crowded road?
No. Why would an optimistic MPG reading affect safety?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been using this site for years to track the mileage figures on all my vehicles. It has a history of all my previous vehicles. Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG

Peter
Same here. It's become a bit of an obsession with me. Goes back to the '50s when my Grandfather tracked his mileage the old-fashioned way.

No. Why would an optimistic MPG reading affect safety?
Lets not start moving the goals posts now, call it like it is, it is not optimistic it is false and in the least misleading. It could cause the engine to fail catastrophically.

Couldn't disagree more with your "No". It could be a loose sun-visor that falls down when you hit the slightest dump that causes a crash, that is also a "safety problem", when the context is a 2 ton vehicle traveling down a crowded highway. While I wouldn't die on the hill defending a sun-visor as you would likely get us to it, a engine that is secretly running much hotter (critically) than normal will eventually fail unexpectedly and quite violently most-likely causing a crash. It doesn't simply turn itself off and coast to the side of the road. That's why the lemon law language is a loophole and should not only apply to obviously immediately apparent issiues like grinding transmissions.

Lets not start moving the goals posts now, call it like it is, it is not optimistic it is false and in the least misleading. It could cause the engine to fail catastrophically.

Couldn't disagree more with your "No". It could be a loose sun-visor that falls down when you hit the slightest dump that causes a crash, that is also a "safety problem", when the context is a 2 ton vehicle traveling down a crowded highway. While I wouldn't die on the hill defending a sun-visor as you would likely get us to it, a engine that is secretly running much hotter (critically) than normal will eventually fail unexpectedly and quite violently most-likely causing a crash. It doesn't simply turn itself off and coast to the side of the road. That's why the lemon law language is a loophole and should not only apply to obviously immediately apparent issiues like grinding transmissions.
how can mpg cause engine failure? if anything youll run out of gas. fill er back up and done. or read the fuel gauge east enough to see when youve got 1/4 tank left so you can pull into a station to refuel. how will mpgs affect the temps it runs at? if anything it would just aaffect the fuel pump temps from lack of lubrication from fuel. perhaps i am missing something, though. who told you it runs hotter than normal? the only reason it would run hotter is if youre on the gas alot towing above the max rating, then it may be out of range, but who says its hotter than it should be? todays engines run lots hotter than old ones. also if you dislike the sun visor, maybe velcro it? not too sure on that one. sorry, im just finding it a bit hard to understand how mpg affects temps, and how the engine is "secretly" running hot :( :confused2:

With todays computer controlled fuel delivery systems one would know if to much or too little fuel is being used. Codes would be tripped and the engine would not run properly in a noticeable way.

how can mpg cause engine failure? if anything youll run out of gas. fill er back up and done. or read the fuel gauge east enough to see when youve got 1/4 tank left so you can pull into a station to refuel. how will mpgs affect the temps it runs at? if anything it would just aaffect the fuel pump temps from lack of lubrication from fuel. perhaps i am missing something, though. who told you it runs hotter than normal? the only reason it would run hotter is if youre on the gas alot towing above the max rating, then it may be out of range, but who says its hotter than it should be? todays engines run lots hotter than old ones. also if you dislike the sun visor, maybe velcro it? not too sure on that one. sorry, im just finding it a bit hard to understand how mpg affects temps, and how the engine is "secretly" running hot :( :confused2:
Since you and Mike are tag teaming me on each other threads it going to get confusing, so I'm just going to address both here. You make a lot of assumpsions, "...if anything you'll run out...", "..if anything it would just affect...", "...the only reason it would run hotter...". Nobody is saying it IS hotter, the concern is it MIGHT be and that is a serious safety concern and should qualify under Lemon Law.

OP has already mentioned an electrical issue (the live MPG has just changed for no reason, no check engine light, no codes) I suspect ECM. When you have a electrical issue it can easily hide others. Gimme a late 60's mustang over todays anytime.
You should be asking Spacey and bcarlson from the earlier comments about the possible heat issue, possibly causing a deleterious situation and hence my words "safety issue". Don't leave us hanging Spacey, can you elaborate a bit?

Since you and Mike are tag teaming me on each other threads it going to get confusing, so I'm just going to address both here. You make a lot of assumpsions, "...if anything you'll run out...", "..if anything it would just affect...", "...the only reason it would run hotter...". Nobody is saying it IS hotter, the concern is it MIGHT be and that is a serious safety concern and should qualify under Lemon Law.

OP has already mentioned an electrical issue (the live MPG has just changed for no reason, no check engine light, no codes) I suspect ECM. When you have a electrical issue it can easily hide others. Gimme a late 60's mustang over todays anytime.
You should be asking Spacey and bcarlson from the earlier comments about the possible heat issue, possibly causing a deleterious situation and hence my words "safety issue". Don't leave us hanging Spacey, can you elaborate a bit?
i mean i see your logic, but i feel like it cant be something critical. i mean 99% chance its fine, but i guess i can see the 1% too. misunderstood what you said there. ;)

I also don't understand how an incorrect MPG readout could be considered a "safety" issue, It appears to only affect one vehicle from what I understand, not a group of vehicles or models, If this occurred in multiple vehicles or groups of vehicles, then perhaps a TSB might be issued if the cause of the problem was known. I also read the OP's posts and did not see any mention of an electrical issue.

Peter

i mean i see your logic, but i feel like it cant be something critical. i mean 99% chance its fine, but i guess i can see the 1% too. misunderstood what you said there. ;)
I also don't understand how an incorrect MPG readout could be considered a "safety" issue, It appears to only affect one vehicle from what I understand, not a group of vehicles or models, If this occurred in multiple vehicles or groups of vehicles, then perhaps a TSB might be issued if the cause of the problem was known. I also read the OP's posts and did not see any mention of an electrical issue.

Peter
Fix4Dirt
I'll take that.
I just can't say, "it can't be something critical". It an electronic issue after all. so it could be d%$# near anything.

peterk9
his electric live readout of his MPG is nearly doubled and with no physical or ECM code indication.
I would say that's a 100% electrical issue, but that's just me. Did you read something to make you think it was physical?

peterk9
his electric live readout of his MPG is nearly doubled and with no physical or ECM code indication.
I would say that's a 100% electrical issue, but that's just me. Did you read something to make you think it was physical?
No, I did not. It could be a software issue with a module if one is involved in this system. Whatever it is, it seems to be confined to just his Explorer.
I'd be interested to see if it corrects itself or continues on the way it is over a period of time.

Peter

Definitely a weird problem - likely a sensor issue somewhere in the system - I would think a bad ECM would show other quirks as well. I would definitely pursue it though and get it on record because it shouldn't happen and it's not a good sign for things to come.

Back