• Register Today It's free!

Wrong muffler

sonik

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
It turns out my new cat-back system has a Flowmaster Delta 60 muffler instead of Delta 50.

I went to this place a couple weeks ago that seems like a nice shop. They have 7 locations around here and call themselves exhaust experts. I go in and tell the manager I want a Flowmaster 50 Delta muffler with 2 1/4" piping. He then calls in the "exhaust guy" who hears the same line. He looks it up in the parts book and calls the warehouse checking for availabilty on part number 942451 which I remembered was what Flowmaster's web site said was the muffler to get. They say they can get it by the next morning.

I go in the next day for the work and ask if the muffler came in. The manager says it wasn't but he was off to get it personally. I come back later to pick up the truck, and started it up. It wasn't quite as loud I was expecting, but since the 50 supposedly flows as well as the 40 just without the extra noise I didn't think it was a problem.

I go in and quickly glance at the invoice, paid, and left. The next day I notice the part # for the muffler didn't end in 1. So now 2 weeks later I pull out the invoice, checked part # 952460 on Flowmaster's web site and it comes up as a Delta 60. So I crawled under the truck and by the measurements it is indeed a 60.

Wow, you're still reading my ramblings? The 60 is meant for small displacement imports. The sound is decent, I guess, but I doubt it flows as well as the 50. I plan on heading back to the shop and see what they say... do you think they will take off the 60 and put the right one on? I know I should have looked at the invoice more carefully, but christ they can't expect people to know the part numbers... the description just says "Flow master muffler."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I feel your anger man. It's harder and harder to trust people now a days. I hope they do change it to what you originally asked for. If they don't make a scene in front of other customers, maybe, just maybe that might help! Good luck!

go ask them the part # for a delta 50 and then tell them that's what they didn't put on and trick them and make them fell stupid and then make a scene at the last point to get them to change it.

That sure would make me mad. If they are "exhaust experts", they should stock Flowmasters. The shop that did my exhaust had the Flowmaster 40 and 50 in stock ready to go. This shop is not high tech either, it's way old school.

Man, i know i'd be pissed! Yea this was definitly their fault. You asked for a 50, they put on a 60! I ordered mine from a parts store, so i actually had it in my hand when i went to the muffler shop.

there really isnt any difference between the 50 and 60, flow-wise. the 60 is designed for smaller displacement engines, which is what you have. if you really have to have a 50, then make them change it.

That's good to know and a relief, James T.

Although, Sonik, shouldn't settle for something she didn't ask for.

Unless, ofcourse, the 60 series cost more. If so, then, she's not settling, she just got an upgrade!;)

It's the principle of the whole thing. He ordered a 50 series, and he should've got a 50 series. The shop has no right to mislead people like that.

Thanks for the comments everyone. It was probably a premature post since I havn't talked to them yet.

One thing I just noticed is that this 60 is center in/center out, while the correct 50 (according to flowmaster) is offset in/center out. Does the pipe placement on the muffler affect anything besides potentionally making installation easier? Basically should I care if they want to put on a center in/center out 50 since they would have to modify the bracket they fabricated after the muffler.

And about 50 vs. 60... does anyone know for sure that the 60 flows as well as the 50? The 60 is physically smaller, retails for $129.34 ($111.41 for the 50, 98.08 for the 40) although it's only $2 more on their web site.

BTW: X-factor, you called me a she again. I'm not a she :)

As James said, flow isn't an issue. Neither is the location of the inlet or outlet.

I made a couple sound recordings if anyone wants to check them out. I'd especially be interested in what blackcrowe has to say since he has a 50 Delta on his 1st gen.

Everything else on the truck is stock.

Outside (502 KB)
Inside (384 KB)

Back