• Register Today It's free!

wrong oil!!!!!!!!!

gmp428

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
im an idiot. after visiting amsoils web site and seeing that i can put 0w30 into my engine. i figured "why cnat i just put any kind of 0w30 into my engine" so i did. i just changed my oil and i put castrol syntec 0w30 "european formula" into my engine. while driving back from the hobby shop my car was sputtering and when i got out of my car it smelt like burning oil. will a drain and refill with good oil be alright. or did i possibly mess up the engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did the engine get hot? Could it be that it was just leaking by seals, spilled a little while changing, etc, hence the smell? I would think if the engine didn't get over-heated, and wasn't knocking (trust me, you'd know that sound), you'd probably be all right. Castrol and Amsoil are 2 different things all together, I wouldn't interchange the info from one to another. You didn't mention the filter you used, but could be a culprit as well.

FWIW, I'm using Amsoil 0w/30 in my Eddie. Amsoil recommends it as an alternative to 5w/30 as you know.

You shoudl be okay im not an oil expert however the 'w' designation refers to winter which means that the oil should stay relatively thin during hte cold weather, it'll be a little thinner then 5w-30 because of the additives but not by much. Chagne it out and you should be fine

im an idiot. after visiting amsoils web site and seeing that i can put 0w30 into my engine. i figured "why cnat i just put any kind of 0w30 into my engine" so i did. i just changed my oil and i put castrol syntec 0w30 "european formula" into my engine. while driving back from the hobby shop my car was sputtering and when i got out of my car it smelt like burning oil. will a drain and refill with good oil be alright. or did i possibly mess up the engine?

I have that very oil in my crankcase at the moment. I seriously doubt that the oil has anything to do w/ your situation, it is most likely coincidence. European Formula Castrol 0w-30 aka GC (German Castrol) is one of the thickest 30wt oils on the market, it is very close to being a 40wt. Change out the oil for peace of mind if you like, but I highly doubt the oil it the culprit.

As for the smoking, maybe you spilled some on the engine. As long as the oil level is correct, I don't see why that by itself would cause any problem.
I sometimes get used oil analysis done, I had a 4.0 SOHC Ranger before where I compared 0w-30 and 5w-30 Mobil 1 oils. The wear metals were actually better with the 5w, and I used the 0w over the winter. Also the 0w-30 turned out thicker with a higher viscosity than the 5w.

P.S. You did make sure the gasket came off with the old filter, right?

lol at the w stands for winter, sorry but the w stands for weight, all multi viscosity oils have a w, 5w30 15w40, 5w20, 20w40, 0w30, yeah the oil will not make your truck run rough unless there isnt an in it, eg. it all leaked out

what were you using before?

It actually does stand for winter.

The SAE classifications characterises the viscosity at low and high temperature of the lubricant. The grade is given by two numbers separated by the letter W (meaning winter).

The first number, followed by W represents the low temperature viscosity, 5W, 10W, 15W... the lower this number, the more fluid at low temperature the oils, the easier the engine starts.

The second number gives the high temperature viscosity: 30, 40, 50. The higher this number, the more viscous the oil when hot.

I use Mobile 1 5w30 full syn extended performance 15,000 mile oil and a pureone filter.

The first number, followed by W represents the low temperature viscosity, 5W, 10W, 15W...

:confused:

A 10w-30, lets say, is not a thinner 10 weight @ colder temps and a heavier 30 weight at a warmer full operating temp. Look at any spec sheet for any oil and you will see this to be fact.

W does mean winter and the number before it, be it 0, 5 , 10 or 20 is an arbitrary # to indicate an oil's temp where it is still in a fluid form. For example, take the Mobil 1 line, it's 10w-30 will crank down to -20 degrees, the 5w-30 will go to -25 and the 0w-30 will go to -35. Now these #'s I just used were just for example and not Mobil 1's true specs. For any given oil you will need to check their spec sheets to find the correct corresponding #'s for their product. For instance, M1's 0w-30 would have a lower cst @ 0 degrees than Amsoil.

:thumbsup:

damn i was wrong , that sucks, i guess my college teacher was an idiot,

problem solved

before i added the oil i did some research on what the oil "code" means. like you guys said, "w" means that at i think its 0 degrees celcius the oil will have the viscosity of a 0 weight oil and at normal operating temps it will have the viscosity of a 30 weight oil. so after wondering why this would make the car sputter i realized that i forgot to put the boot back onto one of the spark plugs. duh!

LoL

so after wondering why this would make the car sputter i realized that i forgot to put the boot back onto one of the spark plugs. duh!

Done that before but knew right away what it was. :confused:

since we're learning about multiple viscosity oils
example SAE 10W-30
SAE = Society of Automotive Engineers
10w = viscosity when measured 0* F (W = winter grade)
30 = viscosity when measured at 212* F

Back