X might be down for the count :(

CALDWELL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia Airport, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 V6 Silver XLT
Well as you prob all know, us here in the DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia region are getting pounded with snow...

so last night on my way home from work, im cruising doing about 25 in a 45. Well some jerk off in an F350 that was out plowing was riding my bumper hard core only feet from me. im approaching an intersection that i need to make a right turn, so the f350 decides im not going fast enough for him, and blows by me on my passenger side...

he's trying to fit an SUV + large TRUCK in a single turn lane side by side...

well i turn my wheel left to try an avoid being hit, and i slide into a traffic light poll doing about 25 mph going sideways...

i smashed the driver side B-POST ( dead center of the X ) and blew out the driver side front window...

the guy in the F350 didnt even stop, he just kept going and i couldnt get a plate cause it was covered by a salt spreader which is just awesome...

so know i have to wait till about monday to atleast get the car looked at by the body shop, i hope its totalled cause i dont want it back, cause regardless the body is compromised, plus some vehicles after an accident are never the same...

i will have pics up on monday hopefully...

i wanna go out and play so bck, but people are simply pricks !!!!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aww dam that sucks i hope shes revivable

damn that sux danny

Hey idk how big your town is but if he had a sand spreader, theres a damn good chance he has a contract with your town's highway dept. cuz not just anyone can go around dropping sand. Maybe check with them and maybe you can identify the vehicle?? Just a thought, I just hate situtations like this - to think that a**hole will get away with this.....good luck and sorry to hear about this

I hate situations like this. It's happened to me or a friend enough that I've training myself mentally to just hit the car instead of trying to avoid it, so then they have to pay for it.

It's a good thing you didn't hit another car, though. That happened to a friend of mine, someone pulled out of a driveway right in front of them on a two lane road, they swerved to avoid and rearended a car in the other lane. Guess who's fault it was? Good luck.

i hate to say this, but next time let him hit you... On snow quick changes in direction of a vehicle when your not ready for the truck to slide can be catustrophic. I say start calling people in your phone book who offer snow removal and plowing as a service to see what they or their employees are driving, you might find this guy, and if ya do ya could get someone fired and maybe even get some insurance information out of some one. Id look if i were you. I hope it works out for you. if it is totaled, are you going to replace with another explorer?

Good luck cad.

That's terrible. A lot of plow guys do really good, considerate work. Then there's asshats like this one. What a tool.

that sucks man. glad to hear you are alright.

and since you hope it totals out then i do too:)

i feel the same way. hit in that area - it will always be jacked up from now on.

I agree with NYMount21. If he was actively plowing a public street, he is under contract with the town, unless it is a state highway. In that case he is under contract with the state.
I don't know about how they do it around you, but here the plow truck drivers are given a very specific route to clear. Contact the local highway department and ask them who drove that route at the given time/date of the accident. You could file a complaint with them as well.
If this was a state road, call the state highway department. Or if you know where the local state highway "shed" is located you could go there as well.
Good luck and happy to hear that neither you nor anyone else was hurt

no pics yet because i cant get the truck out of the tow yard till i get an accident release from the local PD which is one of the crappiest dept's in my area... its not the cops i hate because i have a few friends that work there, but the " administrative cops " I.E - Chief, and Detective's are jerkoff's that are disliked by a wide group of cop's - firefighter's - emt's in the area... so i have to wait on the worst detective of the bunch to write the form i need...

* the ass who cut me off, was not a " company " or " hwy dept " plow... companies or dept's must label what outfit they are with in the area due to opertaing a mass of vehicle's. but single dude with a truck and plow can go out freely ( private resdience's ) if he has the equipment...

again if it's totalled it will be a blessing in the respect that i could get a V8 explorer or sport trac or f150... but i have no idea what the verdict is yet since i have yet to get it to the body shop for an estimate, thanks to a crappy PD Detective...

the V6 is a good motor without a doubt, but i just want more power lol

as soon as i can get the truck i will have pics...

Hey- file a report, and when you see him, you know you will, as you'll be looking at every plow truck now anyway- report him.

Ouch. Well you want it to be totaled, so good luck! How's your insurance company handling it? I have a really good one, and since both my mom and I are consistently safe (No at fault accidents in years and years), when I was run off the highway and the other guy didn't stop they didn't tack on at-fault premiums, just had to pay the deductible. Hope this happens for you.

if that colum is bent up i think you have a good shot at a totaled verdict.

do you have a witness who saw what that plow driver did? if not you might be SOL even if you do find that guy.

but hey, if you have friends in the local police department you can always remind them what that guy got away with ya know?

If they do total it out, look into the "buyback" price on it. You may be able to get it for as little as $1000 (or less)...then just part it out. Become an Elite Explorer here and sell the parts. Parts for 3rd gen's are in high demand...you could easily make your money back on it, considering none of your drivetrain was damaged, just frame, some metal and possibly some interior.

i was ELITE, just have been to lazy to renew my subscription lol...

my thinking is...

the KBB on my explorer in " fair to good " condition is worth roughly 6,000 $ give or take...

i figure outcome ( A ) is that the frame is torqued and it will be totalled...

outcome ( B ) will be that due to the age/mileage of my X and what its worth. it will cost more to replace basically a whole new body, because where i hit... the B-POST is not a " pop n replace piece " like a quarter panel. so the cost completely replace the body, doors, window, and paint will be more than its worth...

outcome ( C ) will be that i get my explorer completely fixed with a new paint job...

i havent heard from the body shop still, so im waiting...

ouch. that sucks big time..glad to hear your ok. I cant stand how people with the big trucks think they can race through the snow. While it was snowing in this last snowstorm i was doing probably 30 in a 40 and a guy in a lifted ram flew past me after riding my ass for at least 2 miles. Im not driving slow because i cant go faster im driving slow because its safe.

TOTALLED...

per the body shop... to much damage to the B-POST... roughly 7,000 to repair...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im glad it turned out for you. Im really glad tho that you werent hurt. Now on to finding the ass in the F350

Back