• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

X Sport (mono leafs) and lowering ride quality with rearend sag?

jsun

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport SOHC 4x
Hey gang,

I've searched this forum and it's not that easy, so I'm asking those with experience for advice.

I have been considering dropping the X using the EE lowering kit, but have been contiplating on the right set up.

My Q is: With the mono leafs already sagging, should I switch these out to the four door leafs before I drop the front end using the torsion method? How does this rear end sag effect overall rearend ride quality???

I would rather get the front and back levels set correctly then adjust the allignment, before I realize that the monos handle like crap.

Thanks in advance!

J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Black Magic

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Street
I would first start with the EE lowering kit. Install it in the front. Then if you are not happy. You can do the rear or swap leafs with a 4-door.

jsun

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Originally posted by Black Magic
I would first start with the EE lowering kit. Install it in the front. Then if you are not happy. You can do the rear or swap leafs with a 4-door.
Thanks Matt!

But my real concern is with all my repairs lately I can not afford to do a allignment twice. I would much rather get this right the first time of attempt.

I guess I have questions aimed at you since you truley have the experience with this. I have read most of your write ups of your web site and may have missed this.

Before you lowered your X using the methods mentioned on this forum and your site....Did you suffer from the sport sag in the rear before you made your lowering mods??? If so, then I assume all is well. I really dont want to effect the ride quality in the rear if I do not replace them due to the "sag".

Also, do you know if the 4 door leafs will affect the rear ride hight by a dirrect swap from the mono leafs? Meaning...will I have to re-allign my torsions to achive correct ride hight all around?

Thanks man...I'm just tired of putting money into this truck and all I have acheived is repairs and exterior mods:rolleyes:

BTW...I think your ride is pimp!

Cheers... J

etc

Dead Inside
Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 2WD
You could always do a ghetto alignment yourself and eyeball it, to see how you like the height.

jsun

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Originally posted by etc
You could always do a ghetto alignment yourself and eyeball it, to see how you like the height.
True...but....I want a good quality ride from the rear as well. The sagging of the monos is my real concern here. After I drop this truck will I suffer from poor ride quality? Am I better off just switching out the monos to a "real" leaf set-up???

???

Thanks man!

J