X Sport (mono leafs) and lowering ride quality with rearend sag? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

X Sport (mono leafs) and lowering ride quality with rearend sag?

jsun

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport SOHC 4x
Hey gang,

I've searched this forum and it's not that easy, so I'm asking those with experience for advice.

I have been considering dropping the X using the EE lowering kit, but have been contiplating on the right set up.

My Q is: With the mono leafs already sagging, should I switch these out to the four door leafs before I drop the front end using the torsion method? How does this rear end sag effect overall rearend ride quality???

I would rather get the front and back levels set correctly then adjust the allignment, before I realize that the monos handle like crap.

Thanks in advance!

J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would first start with the EE lowering kit. Install it in the front. Then if you are not happy. You can do the rear or swap leafs with a 4-door.

Originally posted by Black Magic
I would first start with the EE lowering kit. Install it in the front. Then if you are not happy. You can do the rear or swap leafs with a 4-door.

Thanks Matt!

But my real concern is with all my repairs lately I can not afford to do a allignment twice. I would much rather get this right the first time of attempt.

I guess I have questions aimed at you since you truley have the experience with this. I have read most of your write ups of your web site and may have missed this.

Before you lowered your X using the methods mentioned on this forum and your site....Did you suffer from the sport sag in the rear before you made your lowering mods??? If so, then I assume all is well. I really dont want to effect the ride quality in the rear if I do not replace them due to the "sag".

Also, do you know if the 4 door leafs will affect the rear ride hight by a dirrect swap from the mono leafs? Meaning...will I have to re-allign my torsions to achive correct ride hight all around?

Thanks man...I'm just tired of putting money into this truck and all I have acheived is repairs and exterior mods:rolleyes:

BTW...I think your ride is pimp!

Cheers... J

You could always do a ghetto alignment yourself and eyeball it, to see how you like the height.

Originally posted by etc
You could always do a ghetto alignment yourself and eyeball it, to see how you like the height.

True...but....I want a good quality ride from the rear as well. The sagging of the monos is my real concern here. After I drop this truck will I suffer from poor ride quality? Am I better off just switching out the monos to a "real" leaf set-up???

???

Thanks man!

J

Back