X Sport (mono leafs) and lowering ride quality with rearend sag? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

X Sport (mono leafs) and lowering ride quality with rearend sag?

jsun

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport SOHC 4x
"I posted this in the Sport forum with little responce" (Not being rude, just need answers)

Hey gang,

I've searched this forum and it's not that easy, so I'm asking those with experience for advice.

I have been considering dropping the X using the EE lowering kit, but have been contiplating on the right set up.

My Q is: With the mono leafs already sagging, should I switch these out to the four door leafs before I drop the front end using the torsion method? How does this rear end sag effect overall rear end ride quality???

I would rather get the front and back levels set correctly then adjust the allignment, before I realize that the mono leafs handle like crap.

Do the sagging mono leafs affect ride handeling?

Thanks in advance!

J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey man I have a 95 sport that had the mono leaf system. My rear end also sagged pretty badly, ass for ride quality it was alright, nothing too great and nothing too bad. Well about a year ago I decided that I would lower it, but instead of wasteing all that money on a lowering kit I did the torsion twist in the front and in the rear with the mono leaf you have those four metal spacers, well I just used those spacers as lowering blocks by flipping them. This gave it a nice drop.. I have picts if you want to see. But i got bored one day with my ride and since I couldnt afford 20's i decided that i would put a lift on it. so i started by getting the multi leaf pack from another explorer and that gave the rear end about 1.5" to 2" of stock height back.... it was pretty great since my rear end was sagging badly. but when i did that the ride quality to me wasnt any greater than it was with the monoleaf. well i dont think i answered too many of your questions but i have dealt with alot of waht you want to know so if you have any more questions just let me know and i'll try to help you out.

if you do the lowering, you should really look into lowering shocks to improve the ride. I'm not looking to rag on EE, because they make GREAT products... but the lowering kit is just a TAD expensive. You can save some money just by getting some 2" blocks from AutoZone or advanced autoparts. Anyways... here is a thread on how to install it all

Dead Link Removed

Thanks for the replys!

Again thanx!!!

Sorry for the delayed response also, so...so buzy lately.

I appreciate the tutorials of the "how to" threads. I would just like to clarify my post a little here.

The mono leafs on my sport have the notorious sag. How does this sag affect the handling characteristics? I plan on using the methods explained, but feel that I will suffer from ride quality using the current leaf set-up in my x-sport. In order to achieve the handling I intend for, am I better off purchasing a set of multi leaf springs and then performing the drop using blocks, new shocks, tt twist, and a camber correction kit?

Do "sagging" mono leaf springs affect the ride?

Cheers guys.

I'm just worried that I will have to do this twice if I don't swap out these crappy sagging rear springs.

Jason...

Originally posted by greensport
. But i got bored one day with my ride and since I couldnt afford 20's i decided that i would put a lift on it. so i started by getting the multi leaf pack from another explorer and that gave the rear end about 1.5" to 2" of stock height back.... it was pretty great since my rear end was sagging badly.

Greensport,

Thanks for your feedback.

When you swapped back to give your ride the lift, was the 1.5"-2" lift in the rear accomplished using your leaf blocks mounted under from the drop, or back in the stock postion?

Can you send me your pics to:

jllintner@shaw.com

Thanks, you have been very helpfull and friendly:D Sorry for the delyed reply.

Please see my other reply to this thread.

Originally posted by hydroxy
if you do the lowering, you should really look into lowering shocks to improve the ride. I'm not looking to rag on EE, because they make GREAT products... but the lowering kit is just a TAD expensive. You can save some money just by getting some 2" blocks from AutoZone or advanced autoparts. Anyways... here is a thread on how to install it all

Dead Link Removed

Thanks hydroxy,

Your write-up is very helpfull. I appreciate this help.

What shocks did you go with again (prob in your lowering thread)? How much are they compared to the EE ones?

I agree with the cost of EE's lowering kit's. It's to bad cause if I could I would!

Nice looking X man!

J

I used the multi leaf pack in the rear to gain the extra 2 inches because when I had the mono leaf in there my rear end sagged baddd and I wanted to lift my explorer so I used the multi leaf pack to level the explorer out before putting a body lift on it...... you could go ahead and buy multileaf springs and then use the drop blocks but I am not sure of the advantages of this or even if there is .... the drop I did on mine was free except for the camber/caster kit to do the alignment after wards. handleing now to me is the same as it was with the monoleaf just minus the sagging rear end. I also pulled my boat with the monoleaf and the sagging rear end and didnt have any problems.. so i guess its all up to you.

Originally posted by greensport
I used the multi leaf pack in the rear to gain the extra 2 inches because when I had the mono leaf in there my rear end sagged baddd and I wanted to lift my explorer so I used the multi leaf pack to level the explorer out before putting a body lift on it...... you could go ahead and buy multileaf springs and then use the drop blocks but I am not sure of the advantages of this or even if there is .... the drop I did on mine was free except for the camber/caster kit to do the alignment after wards. handleing now to me is the same as it was with the monoleaf just minus the sagging rear end. I also pulled my boat with the monoleaf and the sagging rear end and didnt have any problems.. so i guess its all up to you.

Thanks man!

So in the end of this process, you never noticed any results/gains from swapping out the monos other than ride hight. Cool!

I guess I'll leave them in and go ahead with this. I hope there are no "ill" affects.

Well that clarifies it for me. Your a huge help man! :D

Cheers,

J...

No problem man .... I hope everything works out for you!.. if you need any more advice just let me know

Back